Road Demon Carburetor

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
There are obviously a ton of discussions about carburetors and preference here on FABO. In many of those discussions, I have seen talk about the Street Demon carbs. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Road Demon carburetor? On the recommendation of a local engine builder, I am considering swapping out my 600 Eddy for the 625 Road Demon but I have not been able to find much feedback. He suggested that the Demon would not have the same fuel boiling issues that my Eddy has, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm this to be true? Any insight on the Road Demon would be greatly appreciated.

No word on the Demon 625 carb BUT!

Your fuel boiling issues are covered here recently.
State of tune on the carb and ignition as well as cooling the engine come into play.
Do you have it jetted well?
Is it times well?
Does it cool well?
Do you have the proper "Thick" carb to intake gasket in use?
Not the 1/16 paper gasket right?????

If your set up is not well dialed in, and I would not assume it is, then swapping carbs would just be a $300+ dollar mistake because that demon will suffer as the current carb does if there's issues at hand.

Rumblefish, I appreciate your points. My carburetor was professionally tuned. To be honest, I don't have any real complaints with the performance of my Eddy. It works very well on the street. I ran it with a 1/2" phenolic spacer. The fuel boiling issue is the only real complaint I have. I don't want to block the heat crossovers on the intake, so I am considering all other options. I did purchase some of the heat insulator sleeves to cover the fuel lines. I was just putting this out there based on the conversation I had with the local engine guy. Thanks.

I have a very good friend who has a 74 RR 360 with the 625 Street Demon (T-Quad replacement). The carb is outstanding in all facets of performance - idle, transition, part and full throttle). NO fuel boiling issues, and easy install out of the box. BTW his car is a driver. The body of the Street Demon supposedly allows for lower (up to 30 F degrees lower) fuel bowl temps.

Check Youtube if you want any further info. or search this and other Mopar sites.

I appreciate that information about the Street Demon. Also wondering about the Road Demon. It looks like the carb body is designed a bit different than the Street Demon.

Always good to install a wideband, because that 'professional tune' changes every time the breeze blows.

Block the heat cross over, you'll probably never know the difference.
Pro tuned means little and here's why besides wanna know something mechanics out there that think they know something about carbs, no matter how long they have been in the biz!

Something's wrong! With a 1/2 phenolic resin spacer, the heat should never get passed it. Your tune of the engine and/or carb MUST be off.

Your going to change the carb at $300+ instead of a less than $30 fix and a afternoon of work/fun.

Rumblefish, thanks for that thought. I am not really committed to swapping carbs, but I wanted to ask. I actually like my Eddy and how it performs. This is not a hot rod car anyway and the Eddy perfectly suits the way I like to drive it. I just figured I would throw the question out there based on the conversation I had. I am more inclined to work on the Eddy tune and keep running the spacer. I will probably shield my fuel lines also from the heat with the sleeves I bought. Everything will get retuned before it finally gets fired up after this rebuild. Thanks again.

Just something for you to note, is the Eddie carbs go lean when they get hot and not rich as some think. (even though you smell gas when it does it)
The A/F gauge proved it. (as much as 3 full points lean)

-
Back