Rollout vs ET

-
I always shallow stage for my "rolling 6" start". I usually do it because I'm foot braking and when I lift the brakes, I'm trying to give them an extra 100th of a second to release... LOL I've not seen a tenth....
"ROLLING 6 START"???
TELL ME MORE//

Around here anything with front brakes is forbidden to do a burnout through the lights, or roll through.

stage shallow. You'll get a free 6" running start before the rear of the front tire leaves the beam
If I’m not mistaken and maybe I am, the clock starts when your tire leaves the second ‘Staged’ beam right? So, staging shallow plus the distance between the two beams would be a lot more than 6 inches wouldn’t it?

If I’m not mistaken and maybe I am, the clock starts when your tire leaves the second ‘Staged’ beam right? So, staging shallow plus the distance between the two beams would be a lot more than 6 inches wouldn’t it?
I didn't measure it. 8" ?? What's the size of your front tire, that plays a big part too. AND, how much tire pressure?? A tire that's low on pressure will stay staged longer. I wasn't including all the variables, I was only answering the question I was asked by motorpirate - the purpose of a rolling start.

I’m not going to name drop here but a Mopar racing buddy of mine that was a stock class racer years ago and now a big hitter in bracket racing was killing it in footbrake class in 2019. He wanted to tighten up his already good lights some so he made a rear gear change from something like a 4.56 to a 4.88. I should know better to question a move like this from a guy that probably has more wins than I have round wins. His plan played out as planned and he finished out one hell of a successful year. After sitting out all of 2020 I’m sure he will be knocking them dead again soon.

Only one beam, the second one, first one (that means nothing) shows you’re getting close to the second so you don’t have to inch along four feet away.
What gripes me are these pit members who motion the driver forward to the PRE STAGE bulb, can’t the idiot driver SEE when the bulb comes on? This cr@p takes 10 minutes for nothing! Roll foward till the pre stage bulb lights, rev the miss out then stage on the second, even a cave man can do it

Last edited:
I didn't measure it. 8" ?? What's the size of your front tire, that plays a big part too. AND, how much tire pressure?? A tire that's low on pressure will stay staged longer. I wasn't including all the variables, I was only answering the question I was asked by motorpirate - the purpose of a rolling start.
And I’m not trying to nitpick your distance estimation, and I understand the difference tire size can make, I’m more interested in the ET difference on a 12 - 13 second car with 26ish inch tires. In post #3, he saw a tenth and a half difference, you think it’s closer to a few hundredths. Just thought it was an interesting topic.

And I’m not trying to nitpick your distance estimation, and I understand the difference tire size can make, I’m more interested in the ET difference on a 12 - 13 second car with 26ish inch tires. In post #3, he saw a tenth and a half difference, you think it’s closer to a few hundredths. Just thought it was an interesting topic.
I get it, and it is a interesting topic. How hard the car 60 fts will determine the amount of time seen from a roll'n start. The best way to see the results for a specific application is at Test n Tune (or even time trials for classes) is to go to each level of the spectrum. Shallow stage and then stage deep and compare. I always shallow stage. It's your best ET if you are test and tuning and also if you are in bracket racing you know exactly where the car is making it easier to dial in reaction time. I always leave when the 2nd yellow bulb goes off. All driver preference

Not sure at the starting line but in the 1/8 mile 1 foot at the finish equals 1 hundredth and that’s running about 90 mph.

Assuming same size tires( i have never swapped front tires out unless they needed changed)
I have never in all my years of bracket racing and index racing on a pro tree( sometimes both types on the same night) have i ever, with anything i have ever owned, seen more than a few hundreds( like 3 or 4 at the very most) difference between shallow and deep. Ever.
And frankly, cant say as i remember as much as 4, maybe 2 or 3.

UNBELEVEABLE !

What’s unbelievable?
Seems like you are referencing 2 lights. The pre-staged light has nothing to do with your ET, because you can't leave on a pre-staged only light. It's the staged light. It's only the amount of tire that determines when the "staged light it triggered", and "when you left the beam". So, you can shallow stage to where you barely trip the stage light or roll into it till you have left the pre-stage beam which is staging deep. That distance is determined by the tire diameter and inflation. OR..... Put some low-riding fender skirts covering the front tires that go all the way back to the rear bumper and get a 17 ft rolling start! :D

Seems like you are referencing 2 lights. The pre-staged light has nothing to do with your ET, because you can't leave on a pre-staged only light. It's the staged light. It's only the amount of tire that determines when the "staged light it triggered", and "when you left the beam". So, you can shallow stage to where you barely trip the stage light or roll into it till you have left the pre-stage beam which is staging deep. That distance is determined by the tire diameter and inflation. OR..... Put some low-riding fender skirts covering the front tires that go all the way back to the rear bumper and get a 17 ft rolling start! :D
I did say the clock starts when the tire leaves the second ‘Staged’ beam in post 29. Thanks for your response. I thought it would be more, but if it’s only a couple hundredths difference in a typical 12 or 13 second car, that’s fine. I think this thread has run its course lol.

Agree , thats why the post is unbelieveable -----------

-
Back