Rotor Cap Play normal?

-

340inabbody

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I don’t recall having this much or any play on my other cars in the past but that was long ago. This seems like a lot but not sure if it even matters or not. Was thinking on my Chevy it had a notch for the cap to fit into clocking it and the side spring clamps merely held it down. Is this typical or an issue I need to look at?

This is an MSD dizzy and I assume an MSD cap but not 100%.

Video>>>>>

It should have a tit in the cap that fits into a slot in the distributor body. My guess is, it's a cheapass cap.

It should have a tit in the cap that fits into a slot in the distributor body. My guess is, it's a cheapass cap.
Nope no slots nothing smooth as a babies ***. I am guessing it’s not the right one. It will not clock with anything hence it just slides even though it’s properly secured.

I don’t see MSD even making a female cap for the SBM Billet dizzy…..

IMG_3342.jpeg

Wait there is one small clocking tab on the cap! I am going to refit it and see if it locks in another orientation

Nope no slots nothing smooth as a babies ***. I am guessing it’s not the right one. It will not clock with anything hence it just slides even though it’s properly secured.

View attachment 1716306060
You ain't lookin very hard. Depending on where the slot is in the distributor housing, it still could be the wrong cap. I've also seen people accidentally clock the cap 180 out.
CAP.jpeg

Maybe not the right cap, but I see a tab at approx 530 position.

View attachment 1716306060

Well with one clocking tab on the cap and two slots on the dizzy it does fit when reversed but with only one tab it’s not great still has some play after lock down. Better but not great. I couldn’t reference this cap and I am thinking it’s not correct since MSD doesn’t seem to sell one for the SBM billet unit that I can find.

Well with one clocking tab on the cap and two slots on the dizzy it does fit when reversed but with only one tab it’s not great still has some play after lock down. Better but not great. I couldn’t reference this cap and I am thinking it’s not correct since MSD doesn’t seem to sell one for the SBM billet unit that I can find.
That's a small block Chevy cap.

That cap appears to have the window in it for adjusting points. That ain't the correct cap for that distributor.

Use the part number on the distributor and buy the correct cap.

Thanks Rusty, it looks like this set up ain’t right. The cap is not HEI and they only make male ones for this. This cap isn’t correct. I saw the dwell adjustment window and thought they had that in there to make it look retro or something.

The good news is I am going to jettison the MSD set as I just got in a Progression Distributor and won’t spend any more time on the MSD set up. This was my long term plan to give me more control of the curve for tuning. So it looks like I’ll just change over now.

Thanks for helping me think through this guys!

Thanks Rusty, it looks like this set up ain’t right. The cap is not HEI and they only make male ones for this. This cap isn’t correct. I saw the dwell adjustment window and thought they had that in there to make it look retro or something.

The good news is I am going to jettison the MSD set as I just got in a Progression Distributor and won’t spend any more time on the MSD set up. This was my long term plan to give me more control of the curve for tuning. So it looks like I’ll just change over now.

Thanks for helping me think through this guys!
That's what I was trying to say. It ain't right. What kind of distributor is it exactly?

-
Back