Running a retrofit hydraulic roller cam

-
Sewing machine is smooth, this sound like a loose un pumped lifters.
Yup!
or the push rods haven't been clearanced,, contacting the cyl head..
IMO, probably not. I have had that problem and for me it was caught during assembly. While it was clearanced, after break in, running the engine a few thousand miles, some of the pushrods left witness marks as there clearance margin was low. No noise was auditable.

Yup!

IMO, probably not. I have had that problem and for me it was caught during assembly. While it was clearanced, after break in, running the engine a few thousand miles, some of the pushrods left witness marks as there clearance margin was low. No noise was auditable.
are your heads aluminum? I and some Chebby friends seem to agree that with aluminum heads and rockers and add aluminum covers too that the engine noises are louder than normal. Hughes told me on assembly to put a piece of masking tape on the push rod and rotate it. If it tears the tape it needs more clearance, if it just leaves a rub mark it's acceptable. With the extreme angle of the push rod with the retro hyd roller lifter, my push rod moved away from the tube and came in contact again during the cycle. my observations. I dont know whether my lifter noise is the push rods or the notoriously noisy retro lifters. but its not terrible like the video.
Larry

With my Trick Flow heads, and total set up from Mike at B3 Racing, I thought that after measuring for the pushrods, I would go with 5/16" pushrods, I could have gone 3/8", plenty of room. I do not think that my valve train is noisey either.

are your heads aluminum? I and some Chebby friends seem to agree that with aluminum heads and rockers and add aluminum covers too that the engine noises are louder than normal. Hughes told me on assembly to put a piece of masking tape on the push rod and rotate it. If it tears the tape it needs more clearance, if it just leaves a rub mark it's acceptable. With the extreme angle of the push rod with the retro hyd roller lifter, my push rod moved away from the tube and came in contact again during the cycle. my observations. I dont know whether my lifter noise is the push rods or the notoriously noisy retro lifters. but its not terrible like the video.
Larry
Larry, yes, aluminum heads & valve covers, Hughes guide lines, 5/16 pushrods on a .610 lift. The cam was NOT a average DOCLIE grind. Very aggressive.
I think it was @MOPAROFFICIAL said somewhere to grind the pushrod tunnel like an hourglass. You’ll need a die grinder to shave away at the bottom and the opposite side up top. It’s a PIA&Balls but it needs a o be done. Grind and check over and over. Once you get the first one or two done, the rest come quick.

Larry, yes, aluminum heads & valve covers, Hughes guide lines, 5/16 pushrods on a .610 lift. The cam was NOT a average DOCLIE grind. Very aggressive.
I think it was @MOPAROFFICIAL said somewhere to grind the pushrod tunnel like an hourglass. You’ll need a die grinder to shave away at the bottom and the opposite side up top. It’s a PIA&Balls but it needs a o be done. Grind and check over and over. Once you get the first one or two done, the rest come quick.
Yep mine turned out like an hour glass..Cant count how many times the heads were off and on till it was right.. Hot Rodding!!!!

-
Back