Running without a thermostat ok?

-
Show some respect Rusty. We aren't all as smart as you are!

When I worked at the local Citgo station in the mid 70s, every single bottom hose we had came with the spring. The bottom hose is the suction side. As engine RPM increases, so does suction. In a closed system, the suction has no relief, so if there is no spring to support the bottom hose, it will collapse at highway speed and restrict the inlet flow to the engine from the radiator.

I think you were supposed to pull the spring out of the old hose and put it into the new one. But since these cars are 40 or so years old, the hoses have been replaced several times and the spring got thrown out with the old hose at some point in time.

I think it would be pretty easy to make a new spring out of some 1/8" aluminum wire. Just wind it around a broom handle or something similar. I know my lower hose has no spring inside it, and my 340 runs kind of hot. The spring might just be the answer, as I've done everything else.

AL wire won't hold shape; way too soft. Baling wire won't either. You need to find something like light spring wire.... maybe at an older hardware store.

Aluminum would be a bad choice for a lower radiator hose spring. In that small cross section it won't last. Stainless steel, particularly a 300 series alloy, would be a much better choice. The making of such a spring needs thought and care, you don't want it getting loose and working it's way into the water pump. Downside to the spring is it increases the turbulent flow effectively making the ID of the hose smaller.

Better would be to select a hose that has the spring molded into it rather than merely placed inside of it. I'm under the impression that some hoses are made this way, but I can't point to where I might have learned this so it may just be wishful thinking on my part.

Show some respect Rusty. We aren't all as smart as you are!

It's got nothing to do with all that. I'm not smarter than anybody. When experienced people give good answers over and over and those answers get completely ignored, argued with and questioned around every corner, it gets real old real quick.

People absolutely refuse to get an FSM for their car. Stupidity. Whether the car is modded or not. People refuse to use complete systems, such as the cooling system. Almost every single time without fail with these type threads, Something is missing......has been left off whether on purpose or by accident.

People not listening to common sense gets old. But like I said elsewhere, my vehicles run good.

I agree with your comments Rusty. Sometimes learning the hard way is what people need.
tmm

I think you were supposed to pull the spring out of the old hose and put it into the new one. But since these cars are 40 or so years old, the hoses have been replaced several times and the spring got thrown out with the old hose at some point in time.

I think it would be pretty easy to make a new spring out of some 1/8" aluminum wire. Just wind it around a broom handle or something similar. I know my lower hose has no spring inside it, and my 340 runs kind of hot. The spring might just be the answer, as I've done everything else.

Exactly. It's not like it's rocket science. Make your own. Who wouldda ever thought of that? I can see a generation or two before some of these guys laughin their butts off at some of them. That's all people used to do. Make what they needed.

I don't know man......I have seen some of those springs really rusty and crusty after a long time......really unusable. I THINK what the idea was when the springs starting getting left out was that the hoses were made a little thicker for more support, BUT, hoses get soft when they get hot. They get soft when they get old. They will still collapse. The spring is still a good idea regardless, IMO......it was part of the original cooling system. I bet not one of these cars came from the factory without one. I would be surprised if they did.

It's not like you can't buy the stainless hose springs all over the internet for around $7.

I looked to see if I could order a spring out of a grease gun but not available separately.

Aluminum would be a bad choice for a lower radiator hose spring. In that small cross section it won't last. Stainless steel, particularly a 300 series alloy, would be a much better choice. The making of such a spring needs thought and care, you don't want it getting loose and working it's way into the water pump. Downside to the spring is it increases the turbulent flow effectively making the ID of the hose smaller.

Better would be to select a hose that has the spring molded into it rather than merely placed inside of it. I'm under the impression that some hoses are made this way, but I can't point to where I might have learned this so it may just be wishful thinking on my part.

More I think about it, it would be better to buy a pre-made one made out of the correct material. Thanks.

When I worked at the local Citgo station in the mid 70s, every single bottom hose we had came with the spring. The bottom hose is the suction side. As engine RPM increases, so does suction. In a closed system, the suction has no relief, so if there is no spring to support the bottom hose, it will collapse at highway speed and restrict the inlet flow to the engine from the radiator.

I know. Next you'll say something really stupid like "why don't hoses come with springs now? Don't be stupid. How much would springs cost? How many millions of hoses do you think hose manufacturers make every year? Yeah. Somebody saw where they could cut a corner and did it, just like everything else.

Some of yall need to stop being so damned hard headed and LISTEN to experience, instead of being borderline stupid.

If that does not explain why you need the spring in the bottom hose, then turn your keys in and take up stamp collecting.

That might be too difficult for some of you so might I suggest drooling instead?

No one ever explained to you to play nice... can you answer w/o snide comments, i am slowly finding you VERY offensive in your demeanor....If you have advice or comments please keep it technical, or just kept it to yourself.... you seem to be such a sour person...:glasses7:

It's got nothing to do with all that. I'm not smarter than anybody. When experienced people give good answers over and over and those answers get completely ignored, argued with and questioned around every corner, it gets real old real quick.

People absolutely refuse to get an FSM for their car. Stupidity. Whether the car is modded or not. People refuse to use complete systems, such as the cooling system. Almost every single time without fail with these type threads, Something is missing......has been left off whether on purpose or by accident.

People not listening to common sense gets old. But like I said elsewhere, my vehicles run good.

over and over, some of us dont spend 20 hours a day reading EVERY post like a sponge.

No one ever explained to you to play nice... can you answer w/o snide comments, i am slowly finding you VERY offensive in your demeanor....If you have advice or comments please keep it technical, or just kept it to yourself.... you seem to be such a sour person...:glasses7:

I don't play well with willfully ignorant people. You have an ignore feature.

Now I will answer those that answered the whys and how comes of the spring..... thanks! good input. RRR mine has the spring..... the reason for the question was to see if it was specific to certain engine or certain cooling system designs, you know... since your knowledge backround is so valuable, maybe you should quit giving it for free and start charging, maybe then you would come across more kind, but alas, i think you just enjoy talking down to people, here you seem to get away with it, i suspect your the guy in the town everyone call the crabby guy.

over and over, some of us dont spend 20 hours a day reading EVERY post like a sponge.

That would be the same group that refuses to get an FSM for their car and listen to sound advice.

My advice to those people is keep bein stupid.

I think they make lower hoses just good enough to last the warranty period. Then they start to get old and soft and begin to deteriorate and at that stage I guess we just buy new ones.

Sorry, not buying into the "better to buy it" routine.

Maybe, and maybe not.

I see this on a lot of forums, guys are stumped when they can't buy something to fix their problem or squelch their desire. Yes, if you can buy a quality part at a reasonable price then you likely can't make it for the same price if your time is worth anything. Keep in mind that the guy or gal who made it probably has a family and deserves to be paid a fair wage too, but heck even if they're just gonna blow it on whiskey & wimmin they still deserve a fair wage. Think about that before whining about the price of something. Want to know why making stuff got moved offshore? Price. With your ever increasing demands for a lower price you drove it there. I drove it there. We all drove it there. If we want it back here, and I sure as hell do, then we've got to be willing to pay for it.

The flip side is that if you can't buy it and you need it, then you should make it or learn how to make it. Or figure out how to make it from something close. I've no idea how close in size the grease gun spring is, but its a brilliant start. Maybe start here as another option: http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression-springs/=xsim2s Bear in mind that even though it's called a "spring" it really doesn't do any springing.

The car parts aftermarket has never been stronger, but those products came to be because of demand - not the other way around. Even into the early 60's there wasn't much available and if you wanted it, you had to find a way to make it or have it made. Hot rodders from then would look at most of us as a bunch of pansies.

I think they make lower hoses just good enough to last the warranty period. Then they start to get old and soft and begin to deteriorate and at that stage I guess we just buy new ones.

Another someone that "gets it". Lemmie find you a gold star. I know I got one around here somewhere.

...... talk to someone here as you would talk to them face to face like a man,

If you ever met me, you would know that's exactly what I do. I am the same in every situation. Pick out the "nasty" all you want, good advice is still there. If people would listen the first five times, they wouldn't have any worries. I cannot control ignorance and hard headedness. That's not my job.

If you want to continue this, please resort to PMs. This isn't helping the OP one single bit. Sorry I got off on such a stupid tangent.

And this isn't the place for that. Contribute, or back out.

And this isn't the place for that. Contribute, or back out.

Yes, my apologies to the OP. Sorry I helped get this off track. My intent was only to reiterate how important it is to have the cooling system complete to the Nth degree. This is especially important when high performance modifications have been made.

Knock off the arguing & crap spewing please.....Let's get back on topic :)

I know where rusty's coming from ,I have given up many weekends to help someone with there problem's free of charge just so they don't get disappointed and dump there project or dismantle them for scrap or parts sales only to get no shows and no calls after arranging times ,( my time didn't matter) because someone told them of a cheaper repair, it seems to me that some guys only want to here and belief the cheapest repair will fix there problems. they only here what there wallet tells them. also I've been doing this (auto/truck/heavy emergency vehicles/ motor cycle ect also I must hold a master cert in ase trucks/.auto/ evt master in heavy fire rescue /ambulances just to turn wrenches in my county where I work and live and there are few people that I can learn from left so when rusty speaks you should listen
there are not many people left that have done it all, most just read these computer pages and are experts just like all the engineers that would call the mechanic's and ask them how did they fix that problem right before I left the gm dealer . just another old grumpy mechanic who gives time and advice freely ,try going on the innernet and google something the first question is HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO PAY FOR THIS QUESTION!

Yes, my apologies to the OP. Sorry I helped get this off track. My intent was only to reiterate how important it is to have the cooling system complete to the Nth degree. This is especially important when high performance modifications have been made.

Uhhhh... Yeah !! Knowledge is Everything !! BTW , I may be coming down to Ga in a while. Maybe we can get together for a Beer?

-
Back