Runs good, but has a leak....

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I brought my car into work this afternoon with the intentions of installing the scattersheild tomorrow morning after the car sat overnight on a lift. I figured the lift would save my back. I get half way to the shop and notice some smoke blowing out the back while I'm cruising on the highway. Oil pressure and water temperature are OK so I press on, enjoying the drive. Car felt real good when cruising at 3,400 RPM (speedo is in-op at the moment....) with an occassional bust up to 4,500. I'm still reluctant to really put my foot in it. I get to the shop and naturally draw a crowd since everyone keeps asking me about this car I talk about but never drive. It sounded soooo awesome idling indoors echoing off the walls. Despite the aweful paint job, I get a universal thumbs-up from the guys :thumrigh:

Now I get it up in the air and see what looks like an oil leak coming from the rear main seal..... I get upset. Very upset.... Unfortunately we were slow this afternoon, so I had a chance to start tearing her down today. After I pulled the transmission, bell housing, and clutch/flywheel I see that the oil filter adapter was leaking and blowing back and down the rear of the engine. Simple fix even though I planned on dropping everything anyway to install the Scattersheild. Now I have an easy job in the morning, instead of a possible rear main seal !

All in all, a fun day :sunny:

HawaiiDuster said:
Must be nice finally being able to drive your car :thumrigh:

Yeah, it's kinda like dating a special girl friend whom suddenly becomes your "lover', if you know what I mean :wink:

It feels real good! 8)

T ake that adapter off and just run a filter. They alway's leak. I use a K&N small filter that will fit nicely with header's. I don't have the number right now but I can get it for you tonight.

i had the same problem a couple months ago witha customers car (71 340 cuda) installed it with the new gaskets and bolt was ok for a couple of days, then it started to leak (only when running obviously, but when it did it did!) i went underneath and it seemed to still be loose.(i know i tightened the crap out of it!) i reinstalled it with a skim coat of sealer and to this day it doesnt leak. i had to run the adapter on this car due to installing 68-70 340 manifolds (this is the reason 340 cars use the adapter) if your running headers though you should be able to remove it all together....

It depends on the headers your running and what filter you use. Im running a short filter for a Dodoge Dakota with a 318 magnum. Its really short and would work without the right angle adapter.

-
Back