S/V Seeker heads for the port!!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Don't know if any of you follow any of the Great Big Chinese Junk build out in OK land, they are finally trucking to water

https://www.youtube.com/c/SVSeeker/videos

seeker.jpg

The dead end of Ute st, Tulsa where it was built

utest.jpg

a guy built a huge boat in his backyard in Newport Beach, like 25-30 years...finally trucked it out. City had to move signals and wires...huge operation. It was about that size.....amazing

Okay, it needs to be said:
It's kind of ironic with all the Chinese manufactured junk being shipped to the U.S., that now there's a U.S. built Chinese Junk being shipped out...
:rolleyes:
Very cool, though!

Last edited:
man, i betcha Noah was glad things rained out on him

Massive as this effort was, I'm still not sure I understand it. He eludes to it being leased/ rented out for research purposes, but would YOU lease an unknown vessel built by amateurs in "a back yard" I'm just not sure about that LOL

Friend of mine decades ago (RIP) was a maritime radio operator for Scripps Institute of Oceanography. He WAS communications for the ship back then, but worked most the time at their shore radio station WWD in San Diego. They had a couple of smaller ships down around 70-100ft and he says "it is no fun" rollin around in one that small on the "big" lake

My friend Gary related a few things that happened at Scripps. He did much more than radio, he did all sorts of technical work. At the time he was going to school part time for electrical engineering. Anyhow one of the ships had independently swiveled thrusters, down below the hull, not recesses as are bow thrusters. These had electrically connected metering to indicate direction, and there were about 3 sets of these, as I recall, around the ship, the bridge, etc. According to regulations, these meters had to be overhauled/ checked/ certified etc periodically, so they'd removed them and sent them off to "wherever."

Now Gary did not get along with this particular "captain," who was a "captain" only so far as Scripps. He was retired ?commander? but Gary told me he ALWAYS introduced himself (Gary's parody) as "Captain Johnny F***wad, U.S. Navy Retired". ALWAYS

Anyhow they got the meter heads back and had to test them all after Gary and his co-techs re-installed them. What they did not know is that one of the meter heads had been reversed polarity by the rebuilder
Gary "figured" that in case of problems in the test, might be a good thing if he went along. There was no official crew as on a Navy ship and no need for radio HF radio op on a short test. So Gary went aboard, and up to the bridge, because that's where the main metering was, and the Captain says to him "no Gary, not on the bridge, not today."

So Gary goes back ashore up to the shop. And a bit later hears this tremendous WHONG!!!! and maybe a minute later, WHONG!!! again!!!

Turns out the "Captain" had powered up the thrusters, which were wrongly indicating by the "rebuilt" meter and powered the ship right into the side of the dock AND THEN DID IT AGAIN FOR GOOD MEASURE!!!

Built in the USA. I wonder if the Chinese will buy it and reverse engineer it, like they do with our aircraft.

when i was young i worked at a place that overhauled diesel engines

every year we would have a company outing where we would be gone for a few days
one of these trips was down to germany where we visited a bearing factory and later a wharf

they were building boats in there that would dwarf this one
it was pretty impressive to see

NOTICE. I AM HEREBY DONE WITH THIS BOAT PROJECT. I JUST ACCIDENTLY FOUND OUT THAT THE OWNER HAD BEEN THE ORIGINATOR OF A SCAM/ HOAX/ PRANK SERIOUS EXPLOSION AND INJURY AND FRANKLY I DON'T FIND ANY OF THAT ENTERTAINING, FUNNY, OR ANY OTHER POSITIVE DESCRIPTOR. I AM DONE WITH THESE PEOPLE

This was his response on the above video:

"1 ) If you can't take a joke I don't want you around. And I especially do not want you on my boat. 2 ) If you think you we are friends because you watch me in a video. We are not and that is seriously fucked up. Go make some real friends. 3 ) If you are a friend, and you got fooled by it, then you had my sincere apology, and I hope you learned the value of skepticism. If you were pretending to be a friend then I know it, because an apology is not good enough for you. So you can **** off. I don't need friends who want me to be perfect. I like friends who can **** up and apologize. I forgive them and we are better friends for it. 4 ) Living my life is such a way as to not offend anyone in order to grow a social media audience is not living my life at all. If you need someone to pamper your ***, piss off. I am not that someone. I'd rather be alone than be a slave to public opinion. But the truth is that I find myself more and more in the company of people with strong character and a self awareness that I admire. 5 ) When we are emotionally captivated, we lose the ability to think, reason, or discuss rationally. Captive is really the best word there. We can all do with more training in the ability to suppress emotions in order to think clearly. 6 ) "Time heals all wounds." -- might have been written by a geologist. Seriously, the most unhealthy thing we do is not fatty foods and alcohol. It's holding onto anger. Disassociate if need, but learning to "Let it go" is powerful medicine. So maybe you looked like a fool. Learn from it, and move on. A little skepticism is a good thing to have. Especially if you listen to the news. : )

Yeah, I remember that, I followed a little before that and grown to dislike him real quick.
I`d check in once in a while on the young brit and his Tally Ho build. WAY more of a craftsman. You should look into That, pretty cool yacht.

-
Back