Sail Panel Boards

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Gettin ready to install the headliner in my 64 Valiant 2 door sedan. I cannot find any sail panel boards for it. No one seems to offer them. What's up with that? I removed the torn headliner and honestly do not remember if there any there.

Gettin ready to install the headliner in my 64 Valiant 2 door sedan. I cannot find any sail panel boards for it. No one seems to offer them. What's up with that? I removed the torn headliner and honestly do not remember if there any there.

You know Rusty I've never messed with a headliner but i looked at a picture of the inside of the 65 Valiant i have and it looks like there's some sort of a panel behind the material. A second picture of a red interior looks the same.

20191124_152324.jpg

PLYMOUTH-VALIANT-09.jpg

You know Rusty I've never messed with a headliner but i looked at a picture of the inside of the 65 Valiant i have and it looks like there's some sort of a panel behind the material. A second picture of a red interior looks the same.

View attachment 1715508085

View attachment 1715508086

Yeah I agree. It looks like something is there. Does anyone know for sure? Anybody got a pair they wanna sell or maybe draw me a pattern?

Yeah I agree. It looks like something is there. Does anyone know for sure? Anybody got a pair they wanna sell or maybe draw me a pattern?
I went by the yard where the valiant is this afternoon and there's a panel in there. I'll see if i can get it out in one piece and make you a pattern if i can.
I believe each side should be the same shape. Do you agree?

I went by the yard where the valiant is this afternoon and there's a panel in there. I'll see if i can get it out in one piece and make you a pattern if i can.

Man, that would be badass. Thank you so much. Also if you can, see how they are held in place. I am sure I can figure something out but it would be nice to know how they fit in there.

I'll take some pictures as i go.
Well Rusty,
I went to the valiant and opened up the area of the sail panel and it's junk for even a pattern. But it looks like some heavy posterboard is all it is. It fills in the area from under the two screwed panel, to the upper edge of the window. It looks like it was spray glued to the metal and clamped with the panel as i said before, no other mounts that i could see. I'll post the pictures and i hope it helps. One other thing it follows the shape of the whole metal area all the way to the back glass rubber. It looked like the headliner material folded around it and was glued in place. ?

20200416_184313.jpg

20200416_184323.jpg

20200416_184514.jpg

20200416_184519.jpg

20200416_184529.jpg

20200416_184812.jpg

20200416_184829.jpg

Stephen, you just don't know how much this has helped me. Now I know the boundary and shape of the boards and can make my own. Just one more question. Are the sail panel boards covered in the headliner material completely separate from the headliner itself and then installed separate from the headliner? Or is it all one piece and just glued over the top of the sail panel boards? Again, thank you so much. You have helped me probably more on this one thing than anyone else on the site.

Stephen, you just don't know how much this has helped me. Now I know the boundary and shape of the boards and can make my own. Just one more question. Are the sail panel boards covered in the headliner material completely separate from the headliner itself and then installed separate from the headliner? Or is it all one piece and just glued over the top of the sail panel boards? Again, thank you so much. You have helped me probably more on this one thing than anyone else on the site.
Rusty it looked like it was wrapped along the edge on the window side all the way to the bottom but it was part of the headliner not separate. Did you get the picture of the red interior of a valiant on the web? It shows how it looks wrapped. I've never done one but it looks like fun... wow
Buddy i just looked closer at the red interior and it looks like the bottom of the panel is on the outside of the metal screwed panel mine was captured under it.

Rusty it looked like it was wrapped along the edge on the window side all the way to the bottom but it was part of the headliner not separate. Did you get the picture of the red interior of a valiant on the web? It shows how it looks wrapped. I've never done one but it looks like fun... wow

Yeah I see it now. It is one piece with the headliner. Thanks again, Stephen. If I can ever help you, let me know.

-
Back