salvage vehicles

-

varlo

Joe- Long Island, Oakdale
Reaction score
Anybody on here ever buy a salvage/repairable vehicle from insurance companies. Know of any good sites? I finished school and will be working full time. Its time for a new ride and saving thousands for buying something that needs a new door and fender makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks,
Joe

There is a company in Springtown Pa that does sell them. He has a large yard full. I've checked him out and I don't think the prices aren't that good. Be careful, look the vehicle over well. There are a lot of flood damaged ones, I'd rather do minor body work then tear into a driveline.

Usually the insurance companies will post up totaled wrecks on sites where the salvage yards bid on them. Checking local salvage companies may be a good place to start. With some work though you can usually get a salvage title.

Also check all your state laws as to what you can and can't do. Unfortunately, here in NY the insurance companies, salvage yards, and body shops lost a court battle to the auto manufacturers (i.e. manufacturer backed law - the auto manufacturers filed a friends of the court brief on behalf of the law) on used air bags.

Your best bet is to find someone that has a license to go to dealer auctions or state auctions. You can save big money doing it that way!

Here is a site that I look at occasionally:
http://ridesafely.com/
Under the search button you can "browse by location". Interesting stuff.
C

Heads up on the "Salvage" label. The title in many states reflects that very issue and if your building them to sell some banks wont loan on a Salvage vehicle.
Small Block

You should check all the laws in your state.Even after buying the car or truck,you will take a photocopy of the title from the vehicles that you get the parts from to the DMV,with the vehicle and they will check all the numbers.You will be surprised where all the numbers show up.There is a process that you will go through.You dont just buy a car put on the parts and go to the license office grab your license and off into the sunset.Make sure you are ready for a lot of headaches.And DONT LIE!

check with some of the body shops in your area they may have some that can be repaired but insurance company won,t fix

i wouldnt buy any wreck car from pa with a r title.. works in pa but when it comes to ny cant put it on the road. it will have to go to state center and be checked over. has to be fixed to factory requirements. bills for parts, labor and have to check it over. customer had a cavalier like that he ended up making a 4 cyl race car for the track we have local.

-
Back