Sand Blaster Guns

-
Similar guns can be had for much cheaper.

I bought one years back and I did a lot of work with it but it was a pain in the ***. Constantly clogged up, despite having plenty of filtration. Probably needed some mods done to it like the HF cabinet blast gun requires.

Makes a huge mess.

I've been thru 4 blast guns on this (what was at the time) $99 HF cabinet, replaced the glass a couple of times (needs again) for which I get "used glass" from the local glass shop for, and replaced the gloves once (they need it again) but the cabinet itself is a major POS. I'm tired of the sand leakage at every seam, has done that since the day I got it....
Wish I'd have MIG'd the seams when I first got it. I might still do that, it's about out of glass bead at the moment.
The other issue is I've tried a few different foam strips, the leakage out around the door is horrible even though I blast "away from" the door direction.
I glued a 1-1/2" PVC nipple and 90*elbow to the opposite door side and put a shop vac in it, helps tremendously but still junk.... but being the miserable state govt I work for refuses to buy me a cabinet (been asking for years) and bought and maintain this myself for work purposes during work hours I've already spent way more on this thing for abrasive, glass lenses, gloves and guns when they wear out than I ever should have ever had to, I'm trying to minimize my out of pocket.
I only ever use it for cleaning brake caliper brackets, cleaning the rust buildup out of the machined "ways" the pads ride in top and bottom.
But as a fleet mechanic brake jobs are a major part of my day.

Like mentioned, these are only good for spot blasting. Its really all they are meant to be.
I have one of the small harbor freight cabinets. I sealed it all up with seam sealer. Changed the gun, added lighting and added a vibrator. The thing is rock solid. I use this one for all my small parts.
My medium cabinet is about 4' and is a scat blast. My large cabinet is a 6' wide scat blast. All blast cabinets will require some tuning to get them working good. When they are not working right they can be frustrating but when they are right its the best tool in the garage.

I have actually 4different ones, one like your blue one, always worked good with the silica sand, but i guess that plugs your lungs, cant find it by me anymore, northern has this junky stuff thats way too fine, call it coal slag, dont get it, it clogs that gun and doesn't cut!!! The black beauty stuff works nice, menards used to have it, but i think they have the coal slag too, but its a little coarser than northerns, i also have a cabinet i made, with a suction system, and it needs that vibrator to work good otherwise its lind of frustrating, the pressure pot one works best, i also have one with a rubber boot on the end made by vacula, if you have some small spots or don't want to make a mess you press the rubber into the piece and it self recycles that one also works nice.

-
Back