Sanding fiber glass

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
What's the best way to prep fiberglass fender extensions? They have been repainted once before. I don't want to damage the fiberglass or take the shape out of them.

Really no different then anything else. 180 grit and prime. With glass parts you just have to be careful you don't go too deep or remove character lines so usually it requires doing parts of the part by hand. Slow it down if using a DA.

Really no different then anything else. 180 grit and prime. With glass parts you just have to be careful you don't go too deep or remove character lines so usually it requires doing parts of the part by hand. Slow it down if using a DA.

Awesome. Would you say leave them on the car to sand or off?

Awesome. Would you say leave them on the car to sand or off?
I would have them off. If they were painted on the car last time there can be some build up at the mating seam. When painted together that area doesn't get prepped really well and there tend to be some build up of materials. It's better to clean it up nice before adding more paint. Then I can sit in my little creeper seat and finger diddle with them lol

If the old paint was properly prepped and painted the last time and its cured, you might not need to prime them. Scuff with 400 if your gonna use sealer (recommended) or 600 and topcoat.
Kind of depends on the paint you are using. Acrylic enamel likes a little more tooth and 400 is pushing it.

I will be using a sealer. And PPG Omni base and clear. I already have them removed, so I'll sand then down with 180 and hit them with some 2k and go from there.

-
Back