Sanity check: Decoding VIN for '69 Dart GTS

-

Crash513

Reaction score
Hello Fabo folks - I need a quick confirmation to help me authenticate a local car that I'm considering buying.

The car I'm looking at is a 1969 Dodge Dart GTS with a 340/4-speed. The owner recently passed and the executor of the estate is now looking to sell the car. It's exactly the configuration I am looking for, but I'm suspicious that it's a clone based on the VIN. The car looks top to bottom like a GTS that came with the 340 from the factory. It's got the hood bulge callouts for a 340, the GTS badges in all the right places, and everything down to the backup warning light under the dash to the steering wheel and trim look legit, original GTS. However, the VIN: LH23B9Bxxxxxx looks like it was originally a 225/slant 6 car. I could not get under the car to see the VIN on the engine because the headers were blocking it, and the car does not have a fender tag.

When I compared this VIN to several of the VINS listed in the GTS registry, I noticed that all of those listed there start out with LS (special price class), not LH (high price class). In looking at a few of the public domain decoding sites, it appears that the car I'm looking at is probably not a factory 340 car, and may not even be a GTS at all.

The GTS 340 is a wonderful, underrated little muscle car that people are just starting to appreciate. They seem to be going up in value, but I'm still a little surprised that someone would go to the trouble of cloning one. So, I'd really like to know what I'm getting if I do decide to buy it. It's still a sweet car, but I'd much rather hold out for an original one than buy a clone at any price.

If anyone can offer an expert opinion to tell me exactly what this car is (GTS, GT, Swinger?) and what kind of engine it came with (was it actually a slant six?), it would be much appreciated.

It's clearly a slant 6 car.

If it's priced as a clone 340 GTS, buy it.

If it isn't, negotiate it down to that level and buy it. You clearly like the car.....just don't overpay for it.

Clones are the best...all the joy of the original, without the price premium.

GTS's only came with 340, or 383 (and M code 440) in 69. No slant 6 available for GTS, so it's not an original GTS...

It is what the vin says it is, a wannabe

I would like to know where you found this VIN
there is no fender tag, and you couldn't read it on the engine, that just leaves the dash, correct?

I guess that leaves the door open to the possibility that the dash has been replaced (including the VIN tag) and everything else is original GTS?

or did you get the VIN from the title?

It's clearly a slant 6 car.

If it's priced as a clone 340 GTS, buy it.

If it isn't, negotiate it down to that level and buy it. You clearly like the car.....just don't overpay for it.

Clones are the best...all the joy of the original, without the price premium.
What's the price for a nice clone and also nice real one?

I would like to know where you found this VIN
there is no fender tag, and you couldn't read it on the engine, that just leaves the dash, correct?

I guess that leaves the door open to the possibility that the dash has been replaced (including the VIN tag) and everything else is original GTS?

or did you get the VIN from the title?
Check numbers on radiator support and trunk drip rail.

I would think that if its a real gts that the prev owner would know the importance of the gts vin. Especially if there is know build sheet or fendertag.
Check trunk lip and rad cradle for partial vin.
To me its pointing to a clone....

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Here are a few pictures if it helps. Unfortunately, I didn't take any of the Engine compartment and I didn't have time to check the partial vin on the radiator support. But I'll do that and try to get a vin off the motor itself when I go back. If it is a clone (which it sounds like is the case), it would be nice to know if the motor is at least a real, period correct 340.

Any thoughts on what a fair price would be for a clone, assuming it's has a real 340, A833, and 3.23 posi?

20160729_093604.jpg

20160729_093624.jpg

20160729_093637.jpg

20160818_171009.jpg

What is the diameter for the front leaf spring bolt? If they are 1/2" diameter shaft/threads, then it's a slant 6 car originally...

If it's 5/8" diameter shaft/threads then it could be an original v-8 car....

Any thoughts on what a fair price would be for a clone, assuming it's has a real 340, A833, and 3.23 posi?

you'd have a real problem if it has a posi rear end, that would mean someone dropped some chevy junk in there
:poke:

That is a Dart Custom

I have one exactly like that and my vin is also LH23B9B

69 Dart Custom 2 door with a slant six.

well that vin plate got a paint job , should have the chrysler corp printing on it , it also looks ruff finish should be smooth . but there the correct rivet heads . i you dought anything vin vise , and are set on that car . have the vins inspected there though out the car . she a beauty , could be a great driver . had a 69 gt stuff a 383 auto 8 3/4 disc's in it . and enjoy'd it as a daily for years . with no worries on were i parked it . this one is prettier but just a driver too . just think you could stumble across a rusted out strip gts body , and this one could fix bring that real car back from the grave . mean time drive,drive,drive .

-
Back