SBP LBJ Question

-

TNT440_Cbody

Reaction score
I'm installing SBP disk brakes on my '64 Dart and have encountered an issue with the lower ball joint.

I purchased new LBJ's from Ebay but the holes to mount them to the spindles are smaller than the bolts that screw into the spindle. Were my disk spindles drilled/tapped for some reason or do I have the wrong lower ball joints?

The holes are the same size as for the drum ball joints. If I can re-use the drum LBJ's then I will because they are practically brand new with only a few hundred miles on them. I hesitate to just drill the holes larger for strength reasons...

If these are simply the wrong ball joints I will contact the seller and see if I can return them and get my money back.

Thanks.

Grrr.... looks like I was shipped drum brake ball joints! Does anyone have a pair of disk brake ball joints for sale?

Please send me a PM. Thanks.
:hello2:

Just drill them out to 9/16 ( I think) and use 'em. Plenty of meat on them. I did mine like that, new drum LBJ's modded for 67 disk. (There is a cotter pin in there now, progress pic only) Use slowest drill speed and lots of cutting oil as the cutting tips get hot.

DSC00001.JPG

The lower joint for 9" drums had smaller bolts. 10" drums and disk cars all had the bigger LBJ. I suppose you could drill them, but swapping for the correct part would be easier.

Thanks guys,
I took them to a machinist friend and milled them out the right way after killing two drill bits. They look great and I'm sure will be just fine. :-o

-
Back