school me in shifters?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
I would like to know more about the shifter mechanisms for the mopar 4 speeds. For now Ill be running a od 833 but i will go with a non od 833 later. Whats the difference between mechanisms? are mechanisms universal between 4 speeds? how do i spot a good one at a swap meet?

I hope I'm not asking stupid stuff here!

The real difference is in the shifter rods for the A, B, or E body, and the lever itself The difference between a conventional 4 speed and the OD is that the 3/4 shift lever is turned upside down.

That is, when the shifter on an OD is in 3rd, the transmission is now in the "old" 4th or straight through gear.

When the shifter of an OD is in 4th, the transmission is in the "old" 3rd gear, which has be re-geared as an overdrive gear

If you Google around some, there are pages about the different mounts and tailshafts used.

The mech is the same, but the o.d. 4 speeds I have ever owned were from trucks, hence different shift linkage arms...

Also ,you have to have an o.d. bell-housing as the input bearing is larger on the overdrive 4 speeds, using a larger diameter retainer(unless you wanna have 1 cut)Yikes! It can be done but you can't go back to a reg 4 spd.

I know about the shifter rods and the retainer diameters. I was asking more about the shifter mechanism that bolts up with the 3 bolts to the tailshaft.

they are all the same the OD's are better mechanism's Do to greasable and just better quality.

Attachments

• DSCN0186.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCN0190.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCN0191.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 245
Oldman, when you finally liquidate your stash, it'll flood the market!!

Also make note the OD 3-4 rod is different than the non OD rod .

-
Back