School me on torque/stall converters

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
so im buildin my 70 dart to be a good performer that wont absolutly suck down the gas. A long haul driver that i can eventually take on the Hot Rod Power Tour. since gas is rediculous, i need to save where i can. i know the tranny can make or break mpgs and fun.

So lets say i have a mild 360ci w/ a 4 barrel and TTI headers and true duals. in my 904, what stall would i want? how do stall converters work?

basically im askin an age old question the long way: How do i get a happy medium of quick and badass muscle car with decent MPGs so i can actually enjoy the drive instead of dreading the pump

ill have to read it later (got class soon) what in the world is a 42RH??? and id like to do a GV down the road....like WAAAYYYY down the road!

in my 66 i have an 87 gran fury tf904 with lockup and an aftermarket converter thats approx 1800 stall, 3.23 gears, zero decked 318 with 360 top end. On a 500 mile roadtrip to spokane washington from missoula montana i averaged 18.4 mpg doing 65-70. granted i have lockup, the stall is nice to weave and bob like a jackass through traffic and is peppy enough to have a little tire barking fun here and there.

in my 66 i have an 87 gran fury tf904 with lockup and an aftermarket converter thats approx 1800 stall, 3.23 gears, zero decked 318 with 360 top end. On a 500 mile roadtrip to spokane washington from missoula montana i averaged 18.4 mpg doing 65-70. granted i have lockup, the stall is nice to weave and bob like a jackass through traffic and is peppy enough to have a little tire barking fun here and there.
this is what iam trying for too. except i have the low ratio gearset and 276 rear gear. if i get 20mpg, ill be happy.

You will get it.Similar combo(360/727/3.55's,out back),a Road Runner converter( stalled at 2100/2200)got it done.Mileage,was 19 to 22 .

Car,67 notch Cuda.Cam,204/208@ .050.Super Stock springs/ 245/60/15 street radials.Pocket ported heads,,Thermoquad.H.p.,maybe 300,325.Chassis/combo optimised quickly.

tire size is a factor to account for too. im rockin the poverty 13 inch steelies. That poor 318 is wingin' right around 3000 rpms at 70.

gas mileage and higher stall torques is a recipe for dissapointment in my experience .and if you live anywhere there is hills or mountains kiss your gas mileage goodby with any amount of stall.

What the heck is a 42RH?

42RH/A-500 is a A904 with O/D, 'R' is rear wheel drive, 'H' Stands for hydraulic control. No computer control on pre '96. Found in 87-95 Dakotas. It's $3000 for a GV, or $500-1000 for a 42RH rebuilt, depending on if you want to tackle it yourself. The catch is you need to do a little cuttin' and weldin'. No floor pan mods though, which is good.

Here is the swap info, which is also the sticky at the top of this forum:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=178459

and the 727 version, A-518:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=84774.0

Between the links I've sent, you should have a pretty good bead on things...

Enjoy!

basically im askin an age old question the long way: How do i get a happy medium of quick and badass muscle car with decent MPGs so i can actually enjoy the drive instead of dreading the pump

Off topic answer:

Get a Hemi powered LX platform if you want something that goes like hell & gets good fuel mileage.

My bone stock 300C AWD gets 23 mpg on a trip, and does mid 14’s @ 100 mph quietly in drive.
100_1107.jpg

Like the article said - your best overall convertor will be "locked" (meaning above it's stall speed) at the highway cruise rpm. I find 22-2500 is pretty good, because there's enough slip in first, but on the highway it's revving higher than the stall speed. BTW - mileage is more about matching parts. A friend of mine gets over 17mpg in a heavy E body w/3.23s and a 460hp 422. His convertor (727) is 2200.

Off topic answer:

Get a Hemi powered LX platform if you want something that goes like hell & gets good fuel mileage.

My bone stock 300C AWD gets 23 mpg on a trip, and does mid 14’s @ 100 mph quietly in drive.
100_1107.jpg

If you wanna ship my a 2012 5.7 hemi drivetrain ill toss my 360. Besides those cars don't have nearly the cool factor of a classic. I wanna kick it old school but make it feasible to actually drive the damned thing without gettin the feeling I Wnt eat for a few weeks

-
Back