Schumacher SB to BB Biscuit mount not fitting

-

CheapnNasty

Reaction score
Searched on this forum and elsewhere but haven’t seen anyone have it fit this close/bad. I did trial fit the engine to the k frame multiple times, and ended up trimming a lot for the oil pump per the instructions. The problem is the back of the oil pump is touching the mount or near touching after prying. This is not really adjustable unless I enlarge the hole in the block mount.

Rearmost exhaust manifold hole on passenger side is 2 1/2” from firewall, and I’ve tried cocking the mounts to shift the drivers side back for clearance but no luck.

Currently I have both mounts loose, trans mount and crossmember loose. Can’t seem to get any clearance at the rear of the oil pump. Is there another mount with the studs closer together?

I’ve attached a few photos, anyone run into this and figure it out?

IMG_7989.jpeg

IMG_7990.jpeg

A little, but it doesn’t improve clearance much. After turning looks less than 1/8” movement. I saw on another post someone had Schumacher measurements I haven’t seen before. I’ll check those and see what I get.

I wonder why the pump is so tight to the mount, every photo I’ve seen from cars on this board there’s at least 1/4” from mount to rear of oil pump. Mount studs slightly incorrect?

A little, but it doesn’t improve clearance much. After turning looks less than 1/8” movement. I saw on another post someone had Schumacher measurements I haven’t seen before. I’ll check those and see what I get.

I wonder why the pump is so tight to the mount, every photo I’ve seen from cars on this board there’s at least 1/4” from mount to rear of oil pump. Mount studs slightly incorrect?
Something seems wrong for sure. Are you 100% sure you have the correct kit?

Definitely have the right kit. Cut mount is in correct spot. Angled mount in red and plane of rear oil pump in red. Right now I’m thinking hogging out hole in block bracket, towards rear to gain space between oil pump and sliver of k member left by mount.

IMG_7990.jpeg

Definitely have the right kit. Cut mount is in correct spot. Angled mount in red and plane of rear oil pump in red. Right now I’m thinking hogging out hole in block bracket, towards rear to gain space between oil pump and sliver of k member left by mount.

View attachment 1716317885
Why eff the block up when Schumacher clearly says to trim the mount? That would fix your problem, I believe.

Loose factory k frame tolerances may come into play. Are you using an HV pump? they are a little longer off the block. I have a sb frame modified for bb and a set of schumocker (funny) mounts with a standard oil pump that cleared fine. I am not using either of them as I have an original bb k and mounts now. Too bad your so far away.

in your first pic it looks like the stud sat in the k frame is being pulled forward due to the k frame hole being too far forward. youb can see the mount isn't sat flat the the bracket or k frame. if you slot the hole in the k frame back wards 1/4" it'll sit flat and move the mount away from the oil pump. easy.
neil.

The Schumacher biscuit comes trimmed, but can you trim a bit more?? I had to buy the Transdap kit because Schumacher was not back from the dead yet at that point, that biscuit is not trimmed so I just kept re trimming until everything cleared

I enlarged the hole in the bracket to slide the biscuit back a bit, and same on the passenger side to slide it opposite. That helped but the relief valve head is still maybe a 1/16” away from the k member. Tried moving the trans all around to get a little extra room but the 16th is all I could get. Will further trim k member and biscuit and see if I can get at least an 1/8” clearance.

Used the service manual for frame measurements, and Schumacher measurements and everything is where it should be, 5 1/4” crank center to k member, and offset side to side 2 1/2” from frame rails. Guess this one is just edge of factory tolerances, the notch in the k member will leave just a sliver of metal to the mount slot.

if it worries you about only having a sliver between where you trimmed and the mount slot you could cut a piece of 1/8" thick steel and weld it underneath to double it's thickness. :thumbsup:
neil.

Here’s where I am, engine is level and seems to be now best fit yet. Too close for comfort? I figure it should pull away under load? Torque strap of some kind needed?

IMG_7997.jpeg

IMG_7996.jpeg

I can't help but think you have something wrong or out of place.

Rusty you maybe right? Here’s a few photos farther out, anything look out of place, maybe wrong block brackets?
First photo is pass side, 2 and 3 drivers mount, 4 crossmember all loose on trans

IMG_8001.jpeg

IMG_8003.jpeg

IMG_8002.jpeg

IMG_7999.jpeg

Is it remotely possible you've got them swapped side to side? It's happened. A lot.

Not really part of the interference, that is just the brace I guess on the front of the factory mount area. It’s is definitely a v8 k frame wasn’t a /6. I’d say the engine needs to come forward but all measurements say everything is correct.

Haven’t tried swapping brackets side to side but the labeling could be wrong. For some reason I thought they were mirrors of each other so literally wouldn’t bolt up if on the wrong side.

Even tried loosening the k member and and shifting rearward for better relief valve area clearance. Thinking of machining relief cap half height and running a torque strap to limit movement?

i'd fit/make a torque strap of some type regardless. it's easy to split the biscuit mounts, i ended up making solid steel ones for my 65 dart once i broken 2 rubber ones driver's side. vibration wasn't an issue (for me) and it was my daily.
neil.

-
Back