score, score, whammy?

-

Sc2ner

Reaction score
**Well today I picked up a complete 77 2bbl slant six out of a Dodge duelly truck for $50.. score. The guy bought a truck for body parts and he had no idea about engine condition. I only bought it for the 2bbl set up. So started to tare it apart tonight just out of curiosity. Got excited when the valve cover came off and it was spotless. Got the head off and head looked like it was just rebuilt.. score again.*
Got more excited when you could clearly see 040 on the pistons. This thing was just rebuilt has almost no build up on the pistons, and was thinking triple score. But.. always hate those, #6 got moisture in it. The air cleaner was left off. Has some rust on the one side of the cylinder wall. The piston was at the bottom of the stroke. So the rust is only at the bottom of the bore 1/2" high by 2". I my just hone it, gauge it. If the rust comes out and , I may keep it as a back up.*
I still think I came out ahead for what I paid. Carb shaft feels tight also. If it wasn't for scrap being $35 a ton, he wouldn't have sold it. He said it would have been scrapped.

yep you made out WELL! go thing scrap is back to low reality prices. that will hopefully save some old Mopars ( brand X and Y as well!)..... ha

You did very well!
i would just scotchbrite the rusty part with some WD-40 and see how bad the pitting is.
If not too bad, throw it together with some new gaskets and just run it as is.

i would just scotchbrite the rusty part with some WD-40 and see how bad the pitting is.
If not too bad, throw it together with some new gaskets and just run it as is.
x2 Exactly; scotchbrite and a good cleaning of all bores top to bottom with ATF.

-
Back