screwed by srt

-
He needs to get K&N to fight SRT over it.
Not that it'll change anything.

What a pile of bs. My opinion....take that exact KN filter and his original mopar air filter to an accredited laboratory to for analysis.....be an f-load cheaper than $12K
I wonder how Hellcat warranty is worded? 700+ hp, these things are seeing high rpms and speeds, so at whay rpm/speed is it voided?

Those K&N filters are awful at actually filtering, if you DID take one to a independent lab and compare to a stock type, you would find out how bad they are!

Bottom line is, guy modified a 70k car with a aftermarket air intake, that is KNOWN to cause contaminates to get into the intake, then expects a dealer to eat the repair, while admitting he bought "out of state" ......maybe this genius should have read his warranty terms BEFORE modifying his car.....SMH....idiot

I guess he shoulda read the fine print, huh?

I own a 2006 Charger SRT and now that it's out of warranty I can do whatever I want to it. But even back when it was new, SRT was very clear that if you put aftermarket performance stuff on the engine, your warranty is void.

While the Moss-Magnusson Act makes it clear that a warranty CANNOT be voided by using aftermarket parts unless the OEM can PROVE that the aftermarket part caused a failure, it ONLY applies to OEM spec replacement parts and DOES NOT cover aftermarket performance parts.

Why anyone with a 707hp Hellcat would put a K&N intake on it is beyond me, but this dude needs to get K&N to back him up if his warranty is void because of their air filter and let them do the fight. Otherwise, if I were him, I'd be smearing their name all over the internet...not Dodge or SRT.

I'd be willing to bet that K&N would fix his car just to keep this out of the public view if Dodge does win the argument.

Either side is going to have to prove "their" air filter wasn't the.problem.
I could see him buying out of state, in state dealers may not have had stock? Marked up thru the roof? Maybe he lived close to state line? A few valid reasons to buy outta state.
All that said, I agree the dumbass shoulda swapped the stock stuff back on the car if going to the dealership.
Anyone here with a Hellcat and similar issues?

OK, I see both sides of this, so here goes it;
1) The guy thinks his loyalty means something to FCM, it doesn't.
2) He is a Dumbass for taking it in under the premise of getting a part replaced under warr. w/the aftermarket parts on it.
3)While Moss-Magnusson act allows for any stock replacement part, that doesn't mean the factories and dealers are OK w/it, & they will find ANY reason to void you they can.
4)The Factories & Dealerships are well founded in their disdain, they are on the hook for G's of engines&labor, while you use any cheapass excuse for a filter.They're NOT all =.
5)The district Rep is an a**hole, and basically wants to blackball the guy, voiding the powertrain warranty over a K&N? So the rear diff & trans received too much dirty air?
6)Sure the service Mgr. doesn't want to warranty expensive parts on a ride they didn't make profits and commission on, but under law they have to,unless you give them an out.
7)This guy thinks everybody is impressed w/the coolness of his badass mopar,& will bend over backwards to help him because,....they won't.
8)The most actionable issue is the dealer has refused to diag., tear-down, & prove the failure & it's cause, before telling him to pound salt up his **s. It's your fault for the K&N?
9)I drove a ZL1 Camaro w/20some odd K on it, the rear diff howled&squawked warm turning,the elec. P/S didn't assist cold for 20sec., & the supercharger had marbles in it!
Who wants to guess why he traded that one off? Anybody? FCM ain't the only ones building toys, then screwin' you if you've got the audacity to actually use them.

I see a guy that screwed himself. You always wait until the warranty period expires before you modify anything.

You buy a factory hotrod you best leave it stock...said that a while back on here and was told I was full of crap. Best friend owns a trans shop...sees this kind of crap all the time. Guy buys a diesel truck, chips it, exhaust and air intake kit. Blows the trans to hell...goes to the dealer and is told no more warranty. On the hook to my buddy for $6500+.
And for what it is worth...talked to one of the premier diesel tuners about K&N filters. Told me to toss mine in the trash as it doesn't filter as well as a dry filter...

The video says set to private so I can't see it.

I've played the dealership game. I had a service writer who kept warrantying a rear in a modded Mustang GT. Looked great for the customer, didn't do **** for the dealership as Ford kept kicking the warranty, saying that the rear wasn't made to stand up to power adders constantly blowing the rear at the dragstrip. Of course, getting the customer to pay to rebuild the rear to spec as something that would hold together was out of the question. He'd already blown all his money on payments, insurance, and the better heads, and the better intake, and the headers, and etc.

Hyundai has a TSB on using Fram oil filters. Had a lot of folks who would take their car to Walmart, drive across the parking lot, develop a tick and bring it to us. Screw on a Hyundai (naturally being a Hyundai shop) filter and the noise went away. The only "approved" aftermarket filters were manufactured by Wix or Puralotor. If you came in with a engine about to let go or one that had let go and there was a Fram filter screwed to it, then you were on your own. That 100,000 warranty was now null and void.

Aftermarket warranty companies are even worse. Tore down a lot of engines and transmissions and sent out oil analysis left and right. Sorry, Mr. Customer, the indepedent lab says that the oil is 10,000 miles old. You're on your own.

This isn't new, every warranty has specifics you need to read and understand and every manufacture does it. Whether the service manager or writer tries to cover it under warranty is a different matter.

Oh, and by the way, warranties screw the mechanic working on the car. Warranty work usually books for half the time actual book time says, so if you're in a flat rate shop, and having to rebuild a rear over and over again you're screwing the mechanic on his paycheck.

If I remember rightly, I read somewhere this is one of the reasons Chrysler made their code encryptions on their PCM virtually uncrackable by the aftermarket. To many guys were adding things like superchargers to the 5.7, blowing the engines, putting it all back together to factory spec and then demanding Chrysler pay for the new engine.

His update.

Something had to give:

From K&N's website:

K&N said:
Unlike many companies, our warranty for O/E replacement air filters and intake systems does extend beyond the replacement of a defective K&N part. For the original purchaser of the product, our warranty covers any engine damage or related costs incurred as a direct result of the use of a properly installed and maintained K&N O/E automotive replacement air filter or intake system on the specific vehicle for which the product was designed to be used by K&N. This includes reasonable vehicle repair costs directly related to an engine problem caused by the failure of a K&N product. Furthermore, we warrant that using our product will not result in a vehicle warranty denial. K&N will not be responsible for any indirect, consequential, special, contingent, or other damages not listed above.

So, does that mean that K&N has entered into an agreement with the manufacturers for usage of their product on a new, still under warranty vehicle? If so, then the manufacturerers have given approval for the product.

Back in the late 60s early 70s some dealers would refuse to honor warranties if your car had long leaf spring shackles on it.

Yea,he knew upfront that putting on a K&N filter would void the warrentry on a 70k car. But still wants someone else to pay for the repairs. Really.

Poor little rich boy. If I remember correctly he mentioned that this wasn't his first FatCat. Dude can afford to buy a couple 70k+ rides he can afford to fix them. Seriously doubt it would cost him if he knew how to read and twirl a wrench or 3 12k to replace some bearings on his own.
They must be using some seriously cheap *** bearings on these things. Turbo bearings in my truck have over 200k on them, most of it with that crappie K&N "cold air" kit, they haven't failed. Best friends son has a Shelby Raptor. Guy owns the company that makes all sorts of bumpers and suspension parts for the Raptors, his truck was the test bed for a lot of stuff. Lot of miles in the silly sand of the AZ desert...no bearing troubles there neither....

These issues go back to even 04 when the srt4 came out. I was really surprised dodge went the supercharger route on these, a twin turbo would have been alot better, wouldn't have these bearing issues. Like others I can see both sides but I'm also guilty of modifying newer cars but most of the repairs I would do myself so my cars didn't see the dealership except for recalls, but even taking back to stock, looks yeah but if you have a programmer on a car and return that to stock the dealer can still check to see if it was changed.

How may K&N filters that need oil actually get oiled? And you had 707HP, you needed more and think a $30 filter will get you more when Mopar spent big money on wringing out every last pony on this motor? Get real......

The oil can contaminate the MAS..... They seldom get re-oiled......
The HP increase is only in their head !

My buddy is convinced that the K&N on his Tundra gave him an extra 20 hp !
This is a guy that could barely put air in his tire.... But he is a good guy

The modern Mopars don't use a MAF sensor. It's a velocity density system that uses inlet air temperature and manifold absolute pressure to determine air flow into the engine. Oiled filters can't hurt it.

-
Back