Sealing headers

-

67DARTGTCONV

Reaction score
Anyone have a sure fire way to seal header leaks? I have tried blue locktite, new gaskets, retighting every time and still leaking exhaust. You would think with headers being around for decades there would be a solution for this from the manufacture.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

I have been told to soak the header gaskets overnight in water then put them on... One main issue (at least with Chebbys) is that the majority of the headers have round ports (tubes are round, they leave then round at the flanges) and then they don't match the ports on the heads. How close to your headers match the ports on the head? I have actually taken a mig welder to the hookers on my Suburban and re-shaped the port on the flange to make then fit correctly.

another trick is to use allen head bolts with small tooth washers wherever you can get them to fit.

Inexpensive headers? Often the flange will warp.

You may need double gaskets and get a set of the locking bolts mentioned above.

I also cut the flange so that front-center two and back tube can seat against head independant from each other. This way if you have warped flange it helps seat.

percy's are good gaskets but, make sure your header sealing surface is the same shape and lines up with the ports on the head. If there is not enough contact area, you need to fix that first. Once there is sufficient contact are, make sure they are flat. Once that is done, then it is time for good gaskets and bolts.

-
Back