Searching for photos of factory 1966 A833 transmission tunnel/hump

-

keegs

Reaction score
Someone has previously converted my '66 Barracuda to have a A833 4 speed but the transmission hump/tunnel hasn't been done too well.

I want to have a look at some factory tunnels/humps to see how it looks so that I can make mine as close to factory as possible.

I've heard the really early ones were actually cut and welded in the factory, to suit the A833, and a little later they had new pressed hump shapes.

Info on any type would be great!

Thanks!

66 floor hump

20160425_161838.jpeg

20160425_161850.jpeg

66 floor hump

Thanks a bunch! So what goes on the 'right' hand side of this when in the car? Are the yellow bits highlighted basically the standard hump? Is the side of the standard hump removed entirely or just a bit to make space for the shifter?

The other photo shows what I have now.

transmission-hump-original-top mod2.jpg

Keegan C_Plymouth Barracuda BI_Page_057.jpg

Thanks, do you have a photo from the passenger side? And anything from underneath the car looking at the drivers side? I was wondering if the standard hump e.g. for automatic cars is still partially there or not.

All had the standard automatic hump to start with. Then if it was called for the 4 speed, it looked like the factory took a torch and wacked the driver’s side out for the shift rods clearance. That’s what it looked like on a factory 4 speed in this 65 Barracuda i had a few years ago. The side of the original hump was literally torched out. And when the factory installed the hump it wasn’t much better - a few quick welds here and there and gobs of seam sealer around the perimeter. Must have been a Friday afternoon car!

All had the standard automatic hump to start with. Then if it was called for the 4 speed, it looked like the factory took a torch and wacked the driver’s side out for the shift rods clearance. That’s what it looked like on a factory 4 speed in this 65 Barracuda i had a few years ago. The side of the original hump was literally torched out. And when the factory installed the hump it wasn’t much better - a few quick welds here and there and gobs of seam sealer around the perimeter. Must have been a Friday afternoon car!

Wow. Very interesting. I might just do the same, but with a dash more precision ;-)

I could be wrong but I doubt they had wire welders in the mid 60's. Mine looks stick welded. Definitely not braised. Let me look for a photo. Nope, must have lost them in the hard drive crash.

Last edited:
Yeah & some of the stick welding on the line left a lot to be desired. A few that I've seen in the past looked like Ray Charles welded them in with Stevie Wonder on supervision & quality control. LMAO

The four speed hump basically fits right where it’s supposed to on the automatic hump. I’d just cut only enough for rod clearance. That’s what I did on my wagon until I found out i got a bad clutch leg and then really butchered the hump to fit the A500 in there.

The four speed hump basically fits right where it’s supposed to on the automatic hump. I’d just cut only enough for rod clearance. That’s what I did on my wagon until I found out i got a bad clutch leg and then really butchered the hump to fit the A500 in there.

Interesting. How does my photo above compare you think?

Mine looked hacked but the upper and lower boots fit as designed. The console covers it all. The guys on the assembly line probably thought "another damn 4 speed! When are they going to get their s**t together and make a hump or a different floor pan." LOL

It was probably cheaper to go with the automatic hump for everything and just hack the 4 speed hump in as needed

as long as there is clearance for the transmission and shift rids you’re good

Yeah actually its fully functional. The problem is that I've bought the car and am re-registering it in another location, and there they will inspect the vehicle. It won't pass the roadworthy checks like it is now, all jagged etc...

Well then clean ut up as best as possible and call it good

Yeah actually its fully functional. The problem is that I've bought the car and am re-registering it in another location, and there they will inspect the vehicle. It won't pass the roadworthy checks like it is now, all jagged etc...
Where in the world do you live.

Where in the world do you live.
Western Australia. Here we're very "lucky" in that they have these "road worthiness" checks only when you get the car registered. In other places (Eastern Australia) they have mandatory safety inspections every couple of years. I used to live in Switzerland, there it is every year and the car has to be 100% original and spotless. They actually get the cars (new and old) steam cleaned prior to the inspection, I kid you not!

What do you need to do there? Just get some registration papers? No inspections needed?

-
Back