Seat back shells

-

cudamark

Reaction score
Anyone restored the bucket seat back shells on a '66 model. They look to have some sort of rubberized coating. I have some shells with a few scratches, dents, and gouges and would like them to be nice again. I'm sure I could strip them and hammer out the dents, but, what do I use to recoat them again?

Hey I had the same dilemma with my 67 barracuda. Ended up stripping them, coated them with primer, now i am going to carbon fibre wrap them. Stripping them was a pain in the ***.

65005AC7-648B-4E78-9A27-7A479DA44700.jpeg

96FE94EE-FB65-4681-AC05-8B71BC71F9D2.jpeg

Its a sheet of vinyl glued on the steel with contact cement. I razored away any loose vinyl, knocked out a few small dings, filled gouges with gel type super glue, pounced in it with scotch brite pad to create some grain/texture, light sanding after it fully cured, repeat where necessary, painted with SEMs Landau Black (matching another color might be your biggest problem).
If you got in my back seat to study the bucket backs close enough you might see my repairs. I'm happy with them. Where I had to rebuild a missing corner of my center console with 2 part epoxy, the same super glue process created a grain/texture there too.
When I worked for a used car lot I fixed all sorts of scars, cigarette burns, etc... I could see my repairs because I knew exactly where to look. Never had a potential buyer point one out. You'll look at it a lot closer than anyone else ever will.
Oh and a tip about painting those seat backs, no need to tape out the chrome trim. slip a putty knife under it a knock it off. Each piece is snapped on in 2 or 3 places. Tempered steel clips floating inside the trim or simply notches stamped in edge of the steel. That varies with year model.

Anyone restored the bucket seat back shells on a '66 model. They look to have some sort of rubberized coating. I have some shells with a few scratches, dents, and gouges and would like them to be nice again. I'm sure I could strip them and hammer out the dents, but, what do I use to recoat them again?
I'm getting ready to redo the set for my wife's car. I'll be stripping them and doing a vacuum formed vinyl cover back over mine like the originals (they were vulcanized though so a different process but it'll work the same for me)
. I did my set on my 66 charger right before I sold it and they came out nice. 8 years later they do show some "kick and scuffing " but that was from all the back seat passengers getting in and out of his car. I'm really surprised they still hold to the seat back as good as they do since it was the first set I did and I just used 3m #77 spray on contact cement to hold the vinyl on the steel shell instead of the good stuff from Landau contact cement from weldwood.

Last edited:
Started carbon fibre wrap on my seat parts. Here how the first piece turned out. This part is a little tricky.

B8467C51-3230-426B-8074-2A6A2153D438.jpeg

EFE52883-3537-4A59-8FBB-4CA005B5C5A5.jpeg

-
Back