Seat belt interchange

-

MoParking

Reaction score
Does anyone know if seatbelts from a 75 Dart Sport will fit a 73 Dart Sport? They are different setups, and of course I have a 73 Sport without belts and belts from a 75 Sport available. just wondering if they would interchange.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if seatbelts from a 75 Dart Sport will fit a 73 Dart Sport? They are different setups, and of course I have a 73 Sport without belts and belts from a 75 Sport available. just wondering if they would interchange.

Thanks!

You should be okay. I took belts from an 85 van and put them in a 73 Dart Custom. The mounting bolts are the same size, but one maybe hex SAE and the other a TORX as it was on the van. As long as the seat style is the same (e.g. 75 bench to 73 bench), the belt length ought to be fine. Get the belt reel covers from the 75, too. Make sure that you orient the 75 belts that you put in the 73 the same way they were in the 75. Otherwise, the inertia reel may not work.

This is a fun chore. I replaced my 2 piece setup on my 73 with a retractable set from a 75 and had to modify the rear "door" panels and come up with some place to bolt the retracting mechanisms inside the panels at the correct angle and be strong enough to handle a collision ( in theory ). There are a couple of options for "replacement seat belts" but I just happened to find a set.
The mounts for the rear retractors I made are more than needed ( bolted in a 1/8 steel plate then welded then attached the mechanism. ) Sure as h3ll don't want to smash my face on the steering wheel if the sheet metal fails.

I have a near perfect black set out of a 73 I would sell you shipped for
65 dollars. Can send pictures if you are interested.

This is a fun chore. I replaced my 2 piece setup on my 73 with a retractable set from a 75 and had to modify the rear "door" panels and come up with some place to bolt the retracting mechanisms inside the panels at the correct angle and be strong enough to handle a collision ( in theory ). There are a couple of options for "replacement seat belts" but I just happened to find a set.
The mounts for the rear retractors I made are more than needed ( bolted in a 1/8 steel plate then welded then attached the mechanism. ) Sure as h3ll don't want to smash my face on the steering wheel if the sheet metal fails.

Thanks player1up
I really like the 75 style one-piece belt much better than the 73 two-piece setup.
I kinda figured the 75's wouldn't go into the 73 without some surgery, but I sure was hoping to be wrong!

A basic set of aftermarket belts will work much better. The cost savings wouldn't be worth the effort (IMO) of cutting up your rear panel and welding in an anchor to make the 75 belts work.

I was given a set of belts from a 75 Scamp for my 73 Swinger. After seeing how the 75 belts were made, I opted for a set of aftermarket belts instead.

The belts will fit. There will be some head scratching though. As you know the smaller of the two retractors will attatch to the front bottom of the inside panel just forward of the rear seat. This will require trimming the interior panel around the retractor. In addition you will have to do some trimming of the metal to fit the retractor in as well. One large bolt holds it down on the bottom and a sheet metal screw holds the top. Not a big job but on the bottom bolt you will have to make some sort of plate or use a large washer. In addition you will have to weld a nut on the backside for the bolt to hold the retractor in. Going to the top of the car where the bolt goes into the headliner for the original shoulder restraint this hole will need to be relocated about 2 1/2 inches forward so the belt lines up with the retractor below as it is too far back on the 73 and will look crappy and not work properly due to misalignment. Not 100% sure and someone else may chime in here but I believe the other hole near the rocker for the other larger retractor may not be in the same location for the 75 retractor as I think it mounts in a different location as well (maybe). If memory serves me correct I think it actually would be a little forward of the original hole. Its been a long time since I did my 73 Swinger with 75 belts (WAY LONG) and I remember making it work but there was some cutting and welding. Good Luck!!!
Chas.

Thanks guys, I am thinking I will go with the XV setup, which is supposed to be a bolt-in deal. Too bad the 75's weren't easier to mount, they seem much better than the 73 dual belt system!

-
Back