SG and spare tire question

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm putting a cone-style SG in the 8-3/4 for the Dart. My rear tire size is 27", but the largest tire I can fit in the spare tire well is only a little over 26". If I have a rear flat and have to limp along to get it fixed, will the slightly smaller tire cause issues with the SG? I'm looking at doing the temporary spare to save room in the trunk if that makes any difference. Top speed on a tire like that is 50MPH.

I have had the same issue when I installed sure grip. I tried to get a spare as close as possible. I am also interested in the answer.

Do you still have small bolt pattern? I couldn’t find a space saver in sbp. Do you know of one?

I'm putting a cone-style SG in the 8-3/4 for the Dart. My rear tire size is 27", but the largest tire I can fit in the spare tire well is only a little over 26". If I have a rear flat and have to limp along to get it fixed, will the slightly smaller tire cause issues with the SG? I'm looking at doing the temporary spare to save room in the trunk if that makes any difference. Top speed on a tire like that is 50MPH.

I have had the same issue when I installed sure grip. I tried to get a spare as close as possible. I am also interested in the answer.

Do you still have small bolt pattern? I couldn’t find a space saver in sbp. Do you know of one?

The closer to the same size the better.
Also remember winding roads do about the same thing to the sure grip, so unless it was a long freeway speeds drive I wouldn't worry about it too much.
My opinion on it anyway, and since I run a Jeep carrier I can replace it for 25 bucks and they are everywhere in the yards.

On winding roads or turns, the SG is designed to release. Running two different diameter tires will have the taller tire with a bigger roll out make your SG constantly slipping. Either carry a same diameter spare. Or have it towed. My two cents.

Last edited:
I agree with Roy in post#4. Even as little as 1/2" difference will have the cones slipping and cause it to over heat. If a 26" spare is all you have room for, I would limit tire height to that. 1" will not make much difference in your build, but will certainly toast your SG.

Run the 27" tire on your spare rim and let all the air out. Then carry a small inexpensive air compressor that runs 12vdc.
I've done that before to make it work. Just leave like 2-3 psi in tire so it wont pop the bead over time.

I have a safety spare from a jeep. To me it is just to limp it to get the tire fixed.

Call a tow truck. Does your collector car insurance have towing?

Call a tow truck. Does your collector car insurance have towing?

Yeah, but it so much nicer to put the spare on and just keep on going. Also, there is usually a mileage limit on the towing.

Like someone else mentioned, get a small compressor and keep it in the car. Somewhat over-inflating the 26" tire, and slightly under-inflating the 27" tire will get you pretty close to even on both sides.

-
Back