Shift Kit

-
Yeah start it in neutral. And TB is right, that little bit of stuff in the pan is normal. Most of the time you'll find that much in the pan shortly after you break in a newly rebuilt trans.

Were you able to get the rear servo apart and install the spacer? That servo arm looks different, and a lot more bulky, than what I'm used to seeing. As I mentioned earlier I haven't done many 904's (none with the double wrap band). My guess it's specific to the trans. with a double wrap rear band. The rear band isn't a shifting band so it won't shift firmer with it tightened more. Trans-go probably found that works better.

BTW: good thing you didn't take the tailshaft off to try to get the band loose cause you'd probably have never got it back together. The linkage can only be assembled easily through the front when all the clutch packs and sun gear are out.

Ya I'm glad I found a way to get it in. Some black magic there lol I spun the old spring out like it was a screw and did the same with the new one.
Everything's together and it's filled up. Not leaking (so far lol) I filled it up, started it in park and then shifted right to neutral and filled it up more, it sat at full and then when off in park is goes above full by a bit, think that's normal though since the fluid level goes down abit when at temp. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Actually the level rises with temperature because the fluid expands. The reason it goes down in neutral is because it's pumping the torque converter full. It bypasses the converter in park so the pan stays fuller. In reality you should always either start a torqueflite in neutral or immediatly shift to neutral after starting it so the converter is full when you shift into gear.

first feels really good and then and then nothing lol
What could be causing this, I'm hoping not to have to take VB out again

I think you are going to have to.
Probably a stuck valve or something like that.

Does it have engine braking in first?
(or when you let off the gas, does it act like it's in neutral?)

The valve body should be well flushed and all the valves you can see with the valve body split open should be moved back and forth in thier bores to flush out any contaminants.

It could also be the governor sticking, but lets get to that if the time comes.
The question in red is VERY important.

Yes it does act like it's in neutral when you let off the gas.
I took the whole valve body apart, cleaned everything, put it back together and made sure every things moving fine before putting it in. Would putting the filter in incorrectly cause this possibly?

Double chk the front band adjustment (Although if it was a way out of adjustment problem it would skip straight to third)

Did you torque the valvebody to specs?

I don't think the filter is going to cause a no shift if it drives in first.

Tracy might have more thoughts on this, but it sure sounds like a stuck 1-2 shift valve.

I didn't do anything to the front band, how should I check that?
Yes I did, I torqued it to what fishy said to, don't remember what it was. Cross tightened it to so I it went in straight. Could it be an improperly adjusted rear band or too high a level of fluid, I think I may have put too much in, not a whole lot more, can easily take some out with drain plug, just haven't yet.
What's funny is the trans feels so much better now (other than no second or third), much tighter and more responsive.

I didn't do anything to the front band, how should I check that?
Yes I did, I torqued it to what fishy said to, don't remember what it was. Cross tightened it to so I it went in straight. Could it be an improperly adjusted rear band or too high a level of fluid, I think I may have put too much in, not a whole lot more, can easily take some out with drain plug, just haven't yet.
What's funny is the trans feels so much better now (other than no second or third), much tighter and more responsive.

Rear band wouldn't be the problem.
The front band is for second gear, but I don't think it is even trying to go to second and neutraling out on decelleration in first is usually a valve not moving or stuck in it's bore.
Could even be the governor valve, but I don't remember if the governor valve sticking causes the engine braking in 1st not to work.
I don't think it does.

Here's a youtube video on the front band for future reference.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6562c-8pBU"]904 Torqueflite Front Band Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]

Let's see what Tracy say's about it and I'll see if I can do some research in the meantime to maybe refresh my memory.

Alright thanks, I won't mess with the front band for now then I guess.
So I'm guessing I should go ahead and pull the valve body again which is going to have to wait till tuesday since it's pretty much dark now and I cant' monday. At least this gives me a change to pull the back and sand blast/powder coat it this time.

What's a good procedure on cleaning the VB out and making sure there's no stuck valves. I degreased it, wash it out thoroughly with water and then sat it in front of a space heater for a couple hours till it was dry as a bone, then reassembled it.

Funny I google the front band right after that and I came up with that video. Hopefully that book will arrive soon.

I just thought about this, if I messed up and installed the wrong spring on the 1-2 shift valve or any where else it could cause this, is there a way to check if the springs are right? Can't find it on google

I just thought about this, if I messed up and installed the wrong spring on the 1-2 shift valve or any where else it could cause this, is there a way to check if the springs are right? Can't find it on google

Oh yea, not say ing you did but that could do it.
The only way I know of chking is by the kit spring colors.

Do you have an exploded view of a VB ?
That might help a little.

A spring on the wrong side of a valve could do it also.

yes I do have an exploded view. I got all the springs in the right place, just worried the one I got there isn't the right one. Their all black in color so I can only go by length and if they fit. I tried to keep everything together but there is a chance.

So your saying it stays in low all the time? Or did you mean it kinda acts like it's shifting out of first gear into neutral?

Water isn't the best thing to use cleaning a valve body. You should have just used carb or brake cleaner to degrease it then you lube all valves with a little ATF when you install them so they work free. Cast iron rusts so quickly and those valves are really tight tolerance to the bores so it's possible the 1-2 shift valve stuck after you assembled it.

Over full on ATF won't cause your issue but if it comes down to having to take it back apart again don't fill it quite all the way full when you put it together. Like I mentioned earlier fluid expands some when it heats up. I always fill them to the add mark when their cold and when they heat up their usually right on full.

How fast did you run it up to when you test drove it?

yes I do have an exploded view. I got all the springs in the right place, just worried the one I got there isn't the right one. Their all black in color so I can only go by length and if they fit. I tried to keep everything together but there is a chance.

Getting springs mixed up could very well be the problem. If you accidentally put the wrong spring in the 1-2 shift valve and the one you put in is way too stiff it'll never shift out of 1st.

I'm 99.9 percent sure I got the right spring on that one. I may have mixed up the one on the shuttle valve throttle plug with the spring from the 84 for some reason.
No it doesn't even try to shift, it stays in first and when you let off the throttle it just coasts like it's in neutral. All right I'll get some brake cleaner/carb cleaner and take it apart again and clean it out. I did use some ATF when putting it back together though.

Could this be a kickdown/throttle pressure issue, I had to take the screw off that you can adjust which holds the TV and kickdown valve in, I measured it and put it back in where I measured it so it should be right.
Just trying to go back through what I've done to see if I can think of anything I could have done. hmmmm

Getting springs mixed up could very well be the problem. If you accidentally put the wrong spring in the 1-2 shift valve and the one you put in is way too stiff it'll never shift out of 1st.

Tracy, correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it have engine braking in 1st if it was simply a stuck 1-2 valve?
It seems like it would.

Also if it was a major problem with second circuit wouldn't it skip it and go right into third.
Right?

And if it was the governor it would still have engine braking in first.

Just trying think it through out loud, but not positive about the details.

Stuck or reversed TP valve???

I think I may be dealing with a few stuck valves possibly as if any water got on the valves and stuck them in their cylinders. I'm debating about just pulling the VB right now in the dark, got a really good flash light lol, did it before that way haha.

Do you just let it air dry after you rinse it with break/carb cleaner?

I think I may be dealing with a few stuck valves possibly as if any water got on the valves and stuck them in their cylinders. I'm debating about just pulling the VB right now in the dark, got a really good flash light lol, did it before that way haha.

Do you just let it air dry after you rinse it with break/carb cleaner?

Personally, I would just pour some fluid on the valves and move them back and forth with a pick without taking the valves out.
If it's stuck enough to not shift you will probably know it when you find it.

Of course spraying it all out with cleaner might not be a bad idea, I think the fluid and making sure the valves move freely might be more likely to solve the problem without possibly making it worse.
Just my oppinion and preference.

As soon as you do pull it off and get where you can see the 1-2 valve, see if it's stuck.

alright sounds good, I'm not jazzed about doing this in the dark again with it being like 45 degree's but that's the price you pay for no garage XD lol Always makes for a good story too.
Can I re-use the fluid that comes out since I just put it in or should I just get new stuff?

You can use the old stuff except for the last pint or so.
(Thats where any crap will be)

I don't have a garage either, but I DAMN sure wouldn't be outside doing it tonight.:D

I've got a really bright bike light that I use
Only part that's gonna suck is getting the shifter linkages off, oh god, getting to those bolts is a pain the a** even with the right stuff

I've got a really bright bike light that I use
Only part that's gonna suck is getting the shifter linkages off, oh god, getting to those bolts is a pain the a** even with the right stuff

If you are right handed.
Put your feet towards the passenger door, and your head towards the drivers door then reach up there with a short 7/16 box end wrench.
You can get a couple more fingers on the wrench in this position.
Put your shifter in neutral to make the nut on the shifter lever easier to get to.

-
Back