Shift Kit

-
Tracy, correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it have engine braking in 1st if it was simply a stuck 1-2 valve?
It seems like it would.

Also if it was a major problem with second circuit wouldn't it skip it and go right into third.
Right?

And if it was the governor it would still have engine braking in first.

Just trying think it through out loud, but not positive about the details.

Stuck or reversed TP valve???

It would definetly have braking if he pulled the shifter down into low. Now if it were a stuck 1-2 valve or governor I'm not sure, it may just free wheel. I haven't had one with the issue he has so I don't know by experience nor have I sat and studied the circuits that close to know.

You may have something there with an issue in the TP valve area. I have seen where guys put the throttle pressure valve outer sleeve on backwards and that causes extremely high upshift speeds. The sleeve will go on either way and looks the same on the outside but it has a ring inside it and if not installed the correct direction will basically hold the valve almost all the way in. That's why I asked him how fast he ran it up to when he test drove it because it should eventually shift, just at a real high rpm even when the TP valve sleeve is reversed.

7d do you have it apart yet? If not unhook the throttle pressure linkage coming down from the carb and tie the lever all the way forward on the trans. and try it. It may run all the way up to 4500 rpm before it shifts but if that's the problem it will eventually shift.

If you are right handed.
Put your feet towards the passenger door, and your head towards the drivers door then reach up there with a short 7/16 box end wrench.
You can get a couple more fingers on the wrench in this position.
Put your shifter in neutral to make the nut on the shifter lever easier to get to.

Yep. And when you get the bolts loose there are slots in the shift and TP levers that you can stick a screwdriver in and twist to spred them open so they slide off easier.

Thanks for the backup Tracy.
A second oppinion is nice to have when you've been out of it for awhile.
I'm sure it makes the OP feel a little better too. :)

You tell me to try that after I'm half drenched in atf and freezing cold from pulling the vb hahahaha no worries, it's the way it rolls. I had it up to 4000 rpm and nothing. I did look at that when I was putting it together and made sure it went on with the bigger side inwards.
Let me take it apart a little further and see if anythings aparant, need to go to bed soon though lol

Cold in CA? I thought it never got cold out there, LOL...

Well unfortunately it sounds like you probably got the TP valve together right. I say unfortunately cause it'd be an easy fix. Still don't hurt to check it.

Yup I'll check it. How do I properly adjust the screw that holds it in, I measured it so it's in the right position but I'm not sure how to adjust it actually.

Ok so I took the plate of too look at the 1-2 shift valve and everything there and everything's moving freely except the 1-2 shift governor plug binds if you don't push it in just right. The springs very stiff as well, don't know how soft it should be.

What else could this be?
-Improperly installed spring
-Improperly installed vlave
-sticking valve
-Improperly installed check ball

any of those I guess but what's more likely?

ok ok ok ok it gets cold here by a californians standard............
And I do know what cold is, I lived under a damn tarp in -40 in Utah for 3 1/2 months lol

Yup I'll check it. How do I properly adjust the screw that holds it in, I measured it so it's in the right position but I'm not sure how to adjust it actually.

The only time I've read anything about the adjustment is in the factory serv. manual and it says it's adjusted with a factory tool. If you put it back where it was (or even close) I doubt that's your problem

Ok so I took the plate of too look at the 1-2 shift valve and everything there and everything's moving freely except the 1-2 shift governor plug binds if you don't push it in just right. The springs very stiff as well, don't know how soft it should be.

Sorry, no comment on how stiff the spring should feel. Can you pop the end plate off your other valve body and push the valve in on it to see how it feels? I know it was a lockup VB but that part of them is the same so it should feel similar. I'd pull the governor plug out and check it for burrs.

What else could this be?
-Improperly installed spring
-Improperly installed vlave
-sticking valve
-Improperly installed check ball

any of those I guess but what's more likely?

Really any of the above can/will cause a major issue. Did you get around to checking the front band adjustment just to make sure there isn't an issue there? I believe TB is right that it should shift directly into 3rd if the band is still way out of adjustment but I'm not positive. It's something that should be checked just to rule it out.

No I have not checked the front band yet as it was dark, rather do it when it's light out. Will do it tuesday when I get back before 9pm.
I'll check the plug for burs and everything else for free movement.
I was hoping it was going to be a linkage issue but I looked at that and nothing seems wrong.
I've got two kickdown levers, one short and one long, I put the short one on as it seemed to be the one that came off the one in the car, I was stupid and mixed the two up lol idk if that would do it just thinking out load. I'm going to sleep on it as it's late over here and see if I can think of anything else I have done.

I believe TB is right that it should shift directly into 3rd if the band is still way out of adjustment but I'm not positive. It's something that should be checked just to rule it out.

The reason I know for sure that it will, because it's what mine was doing when I first got it.
It would shift out of first and go right into third and I drove it home like that.
Once home, I pulled the pan to see if the front band had snapped and found the front band adjustment so far off that the servo pin for the band wouldn't travel far enough to apply the band.
Once adjusted, it shifted 1-2-3 perfectly.

I did have engine braking in manual low, but If not going fast enought to go into 3rd it would freewheel in low when the gear selector was in drive.

(This is the reason I was almost positive it was a 1-2 valve issue.)

I really hate to say this but you may end up having to get a different and working VB and start over.

Even if one of use was right there looking at it with you, we might not be able to tell what it is after not seeing any of it for ourselves.

It still could be a hung up governor though I think.

why would I need to get a different VB? It was fine before and I made all the correct mods ( I think lol). What could be the issue with the VB that would require a new one?

I thought about it more at school today and I remembered that when I shaved down the the throttle valve I didn't debure it and it had a nice bevel on it as well and I didn't put that back as the TF-2 kit didn't say anything about it. Wonder if that could be the issue or an issue.

Also thinking about it, they had me replace the spring in the TP valve assembly, if that's too stiff could it cause this?

Alright the more I look at this thing the more I think somethings up with this 1-2 shift valve gov. plug assembly. The springs actually pushing the plug out of the chamber it sits in but almost a quarter of an inch so you have to push hard to compress it to get the plate on (one with 5 screws). I wonder if the springs too stiff, don't have the 84 VB near me to check but when I get home later I will but I'm that sounds wrong on that description to somebody lol.

why would I need to get a different VB? It was fine before and I made all the correct mods ( I think lol). What could be the issue with the VB that would require a new one?

I thought about it more at school today and I remembered that when I shaved down the the throttle valve I didn't debure it and it had a nice bevel on it as well and I didn't put that back as the TF-2 kit didn't say anything about it. Wonder if that could be the issue or an issue.

The throttle valve could be hanging up and cause it, but like Tracy said, "It should shift anyway but at real high R's"
You said you took it to 4g and it still didn't shift.

I really hope you don't need another VB, but sometimes a person has to totally start from the unaltered beginning.
It happens.

After everything that's been done without seeing exactly what was done, it would be either ridiculously easy and I/we might spot it right off or a spring that got switched to another valve or bore that you would never figure out.
You seemed to be pretty sure about doing it though.

Maybe if you could take a good quality picture of the valve body?
so we can see the valves and bores and as close as you can get and have a clear image.

I'll see if I can take a some good pics. Put together or taken apart or both, I'll take all so we have plenty to go by

alright the photo's are uploading, will take a few minutes. Got pics of the 1-2 shift valve stuff and the two holes I had to drill in the VB. Any more areas just let me know and I'll take them.

Alright here we go

GOPR0001_zps464f295c.jpg

GOPR0017_zps2acb92a9.jpg

GOPR0013_zpsdc9ae5ef.jpg

GOPR0011_zps048076f1.jpg

GOPR0008_zps3bac9ff3.jpg

GOPR0007_zpsff74e5aa.jpg

GOPR0005_zpsd2259e48.jpg

Alright so after taking some more stuff apart and getting pics I found that the sleeve, regulator valve line pressure plug and regulator valve throttle pressure plug where sticking together and I had to tap them out with a driver lightly, before they just fell out, idk if that's an issue but at least that can eliminated.

It would definetly have braking if he pulled the shifter down into low.

It doesn't though, I checked I pulled it into 2 and 1 and I didn't notice any difference, in other words nothing happened happened when I did.

Line pressure regulator valve spring assembly

GOPR0022_zpse916a211.jpg

The only spring that I'm really concerned about that I may have mixed up are these two or one of them, the shuttle valve primary spring shown here, has a blue color on it.

GOPR0024_zps388aaa84.jpg

and the converter pressure regulator spring. shown here (pics kinda bad) has no color, is wider than the other one and longer ( I can measure them if needed)
GOPR0027_zps5702c9e5.jpg

Alright so after taking some more stuff apart and getting pics I found that the sleeve, regulator valve line pressure plug and regulator valve throttle pressure plug where sticking together and I had to tap them out with a driver lightly, before they just fell out, idk if that's an issue but at least that can eliminated.

I think you are on the right track here.
Flush everything out and make sure it all moves nicely.

What is this, fluid or a drilled spot?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 111
Drilled spot, remember me talking about using the drill plate earlier, that's what that's from. Did I possibly make a mistake lol

Sounds good, I've got some M.E.K. that would will suffice for cleaning it out I think

I would have to chk the kit directions for sure, but something doesn't seem right there.
Give me a little time please and I'll see what I can find out.
The kit comes with a plate that screws to the valve body for a guide right?

Will this help with a doublecheck of the valves and springs direction and location?
As far as I can tell the drill spot looks ok.

I would be good to see with your own picture where else besides the separator plate the instuctions had you to drill.

Attachments

• 904VB.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 91
I'll have to look into what the part number for the springs are, I really need to find out what the measurments are on them so I can cross check them on what it's in each valve, if that makes sense.

Yes it did come with a plate which I used, fifth picture down is the other spot I drilled.

I would have to chk the kit directions for sure, but something doesn't seem right there.
Give me a little time please and I'll see what I can find out.
The kit comes with a plate that screws to the valve body for a guide right?

tnx for the earlier post confirming that it will go into 3rd if something is wrong with the 2nd gear band/servo.

The drilled spot in his picture is correct. That's the one you drill with the guide plate.

-
Back