Shifter Knob - I Messed Up Something Simple!

-

DallasMan2000

Reaction score
Well I really messed up. I was re-installing the center console on my 67 barracuda and screwed down the shifter knob too tight. Now it will not loosen and it is down too far to allow for the shifting. The cable just turns and will not break free from the button.

Any ideas on how to get the button to unscrew from the cable? I have the set screw completely out and the knob will turn.

Okay I got it. Trick was to put an allen wrench in the set screw and keep turning until it popped. Never mind on this one!

how about some photos of what you are talking about so others will not duplicate you mistake?

Good idea. I ordered a new shifter button and will post some pics what that arrives. Oddly enough I fixed another nuisance issue at the same time - I could not hold first gear with the shifter in the “1” position. Evidently this was caused by the console being pushed too far forward and it needed to be moved back about 1/16” more to allow for holding in first gear. Now I can manually shift and it screams between 1st and 2nd.

-
Back