Shipping advice from Canada to US

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I wanted to post this in a thread that was already started, but it has since been closed. Not trying to rehash anything, just a little something I learned. Anytime I have shipped anything to the US via Canada Post, it automatically comes with $100 of insurance. You can upgrade to more if you like for more $$ but the bare minimum for insurance is $100. I have never had to issue a claim to either Canada or US post office, but if there is a discrepancy about the condition or missing parts it might be a route to take to resolve issues. I would imagine there would be a good amt of paperwork cuz their are gov't's involved, but Im sure that is better than having FABO reputations at risk. My .02 worth.

4spdragtop

When I used to ebay a lot, I had a lot of trouble shipping to Canada, 2 times I had parts returned to me by customs.. This was 5 or 6 years ago, I did everything right at the post office when I shipped the parts, thay never explained what the problem was...

Hey Hornet, never had any issues other than f'n broker fees!! Thieves!! I have always received from the US and they have recieved from me. Broker fees.......:angry7:

Hey Hornet, never had any issues other than f'n broker fees!! Thieves!! I have always received from the US and they have recieved from me. Broker fees.......:angry7:

I've not shipped to Canada in a long time, I guess everything has changed by now.. The buyer always wanted me to put down the parts value was like $10-$20, I guess because of some tax.... Thay held a carb for over a month before thay sent it back, that pissed me off and of course the guy thought I'd screwed him on it,....

I've not shipped to Canada in a long time, I guess everything has changed by now.. The buyer always wanted me to put down the parts value was like $10-$20, I guess because of some tax.... Thay held a carb for over a month before thay sent it back, that pissed me off and of course the guy thought I'd screwed him on it,....

That would be the problem tax and duty are to be collected and the guys at the border { holes that some may be } are no dummies some are even car guys so a carb that is clearly worth hundreds being claimed at 10$ is kinda insulting and thats why they held it for a while and then sent it back instead of moving it along to the buyer and collecting , that said I have had stuff come through by US express post without being charged any duty or tax at all sometimes if your honest about the value and it's under $100 they figure it isn't worth they're time or effort to process the forms to collect and they have waived me through border crossings with stuff after I honestly declared it , but lieing is a dangerous deal with them as a member here who works for Canada Customs pointed out in another thread they can and do check the ebay auction to see what your winning bid was on that mint 67 dart gts your bringing back and declaring you bought for $600

Unless thay opened the box and tryed the carb out on a car thay would'nt know if it was a $20 core or a $500 holley...

like I said they aren`t stupid if a private seller is shipping a carb across the border to a private buyer it isnt going to be a core that the buyer can pick up in any junkyard its going to most likely be a working carb and tax and duty are assessed at actual Value not purchase price thats what duty is for , to balance the difference in product cost and value between our economies, so even if you sold him a 500 dollar holly for only 20 bucks the value is still 500 and the duty is a percentage of that , they know we play games with the value but if your close they are cool mostly, if you go too far they are the biggest holes on earth .If you had put `Used Carb Value $100 `on the box they probably would have sent it on and collected from the buyer but you cant buy much here for 10 or 20 bucks heck the inline filter costs that or more lol
PS they also have access to cross border financial transactions so a credit card payment and probably paypal are available for them to cross reference if they get real suspicious , back in the eighties they came to a jobsite and had a talk with a guy who went down to Buffalo and bought a couple of much cheaper VCRs on his Visa he had the choice of paying the duty and tax plus a penalty equal to the duty and tax right there on the spot or getting hauled in for smuggling -he wrote a check , and that was before our governments got together and decided to share everything about us including our cup sizes eh lol

I can only recall twice that I actually had to pay taxes on something that I received thru Canada Post. Yep if they get suspicious they can pretty much do anything they want. When Dad and I brought his 58 fleetside across, the US side was as cooool as a cucumber, the Canadian side dix!! Fat arrogant dick! Worked at the Sault Ste Marie crossing. You never know, but I think if something is high in value, you may as well put $100 on them to keep them happy. Like I said I have bought lots from the US without any major hassles thru the Post Office.

I had shipped something to Canada about 1 year ago to get it restored ...
The person restoring my part told me to put this statement in a specific box on the shipping forms ... " FOR REPAIR ONLY " I am assuming so he would not have to pay a specific tax??????
Something to look into prior to receiving parts from USA or possibly vice/versa ?

we are a large Ebayer, we have now block Canada, less than 1% of our sales came from there and more than 50% of our problems, we were forvever having items stock in customs, customer bashing us for broker and duties fees, etc......we didnt create your tax systems but we sure have taken a beaten over it.....wasnt worth the hassle to sell anything there, we still sell to Canada but on one to one basis, we probably ship 30 to 40 items a day overseas with virtually no hassles....

Dodge29

yeah I've been pretty lucky with the express post myself it's when you use ups or fedex etc that things go side ways fast had to pay 105 for 100 worth of stuff once because they seperated the 2 pieces and treated them as each being worth the total value declared for the shipment ,if I had refused the shipment they would have gone after the shipper which is I am told a common trick don't answer the door and eventually they will leave the package and back charge the shipper -haven;t tried it myself I always figure I may want to do business with the shipper again someday so screwing him is probably not the way to go eh!

I don't bother with all the BS and get stuff sent to my shipper close to the boader. Pick it up declare it after I stay at my property 48hrs have paid $0 duty taxes etc. I'm lucky to be 20 minutes from customs.

i have shipped to canada to problems but when i get a money order from canada i cant cash it if i do cash the bank charges me $15.00

I have shipped to the USA at least a couple of thousand times and have had no problems. Two parcels were lost and twice I have refunded the buyers their money only to have the money refunded to me via cheque from Canada Post after I made a claim.
Total honesty is a given. You have to declare the actual sale value on any of the declaration forms that are placed on the parcel. Describe the item briefly, ie: 'automotive door handle'. Don't just write 'car parts'. The email address of the buyer has to be given to Canada Post when making a claim. Canada Post will contact the buyer to confirm if the item has been received or not and the stated value is correct.
There have been times when Canada Posts estimated delivery time has been exceeded but I suspect US customs can slow up delivery. Some buyers have complained that I have not mailed their item but I keep all receipts to verify date of shipping.
I suspect that some shippers from Canada don't wrap or box and label their shipment properly and that can and will lead to delays.
Some items I have received from the USA have been poorly packaged and I am surprised that they got to me in one piece.
So, package your shipment properly, Label the package clearly and give an exact value and description on the forms and you should be ok.

Well said cudadriver ,Motopsycho having lived in Michigan I understand what your saying thats why I usually bite the bullet and go the Western Union route it costs me more to send the money but you get the full amount when you pick it up at just about any grocery store in america or whatever the closest outlet to you is and it is there in minutes not days or weeks

Well said cudadriver, thats what I was hoping for was someone that has had experience in putting a claim thru. A thread started a few days ago between 2 members and it turned into a he said-he said scenario, all over something like $25. Thats why I stated the minimum coverage you get is $100. File a claim and straighten it out. Hope there wasnt too much paperwork involved with the claims??

Well said cudadriver, thats what I was hoping for was someone that has had experience in putting a claim thru. A thread started a few days ago between 2 members and it turned into a he said-he said scenario, all over something like $25. Thats why I stated the minimum coverage you get is $100. File a claim and straighten it out. Hope there wasnt too much paperwork involved with the claims??

To file a claim with Canada Post you call them @ 1-800-267-1177. Have your Post office receipt and all info as to who, what, when and where. You can only file a claim after so many days like 45 days after your shipping date I believe for 'small package air mail' or 'expedited'. I realize that it takes time. You are dealing with the government after all, but with the proper info you will get a refund. They even refund your shipping cost.

Well said cudadriver ,Motopsycho having lived in Michigan I understand what your saying thats why I usually bite the bullet and go the Western Union route it costs me more to send the money but you get the full amount when you pick it up at just about any grocery store in america or whatever the closest outlet to you is and it is there in minutes not days or weeks

In Canada when you go to Western Union to cash the WU mo they charge you a fee to do so. I go to my credit union with the Western Union mo and they cash it with no fee.

depends where you pick up your western union even after I came back I was still married and supporting 2 households so from time to time money would be borrowed by my wife and returned later all at a last minute so I did a fair bit of business and found there are places that don't charge the fee to cash and many that do some of the bigger grocery stores western union as a courtesy so don't charge for the pick up and cash side of the deal depends on where you are I guess

-
Back