Shipping suggestions and tricks.

-

toolmanmike

Moderator and forum fixer
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was reading a Wanted thread for a 8 3/4 rear end. The question came up about how to ship. Oldmanmopar suggested strapping the rear end to a pallet, diagonally, with the drums, axles, and backing plates removed and put those parts next to the housing. Strap it, wrap it, and truck ship it. That's brilliant. A standard pallet is 48x40 or
62 1/2" diagonally. A rear end is about 52. Perfect.

Any one else have any shipping tricks they want to share?

Last edited:
I was reading a Wanted thread for a 8 3/4 rear end. The question came up about how to ship. Oldmanmopar suggested strapping the rear end to a palate, diagonally, with the drums, axles, and backing plates removed and put those parts next to the housing. Strap it, wrap it, and truck ship it. That's brilliant. A standard palate is 48x40 or

I've used fastenal that way a few times. Just sucks that they no longer go coast to coast.

I was reading a Wanted thread for a 8 3/4 rear end. The question came up about how to ship. Oldmanmopar suggested strapping the rear end to a palate, diagonally, with the drums, axles, and backing plates removed and put those parts next to the housing. Strap it, wrap it, and truck ship it. That's brilliant. A standard palate is 48x40 or

Why would you use the roof of your mouth to ship? Are you talking about a pallet.
:rofl:

In all seriousness, I still have the pallet that my rear end was shipped on. I can take measurements if you need it. Too bad you weren’t closer, I would give it to you.

Here is a little known fact. U can go into any post office and ask for a business account. Create your business name. I’ll use @RAT ROD AL as an example. Say he creates Rat Rod ALs Mopar Used Parts. I hope he doesn’t mind as he ships a lot of parts and I’m sure a discount on parts shipping would help him and his buyers out. This discount is not much shipping To/from Canada/USA but if u have to ship internationally it helps a lot. The more u ship the bigger the discounts. Kim. P/S if this isn’t allowed please remove it @toolmanmike.

Here is a little known fact. U can go into any post office and ask for a business account. Create your business name. I’ll use @RAT ROD AL as an example. Say he creates Rat Rod ALs Mopar Used Parts. I hope he doesn’t mind as he ships a lot of parts and I’m sure a discount on parts shipping would help him and his buyers out. This discount is not much shipping To/from Canada/USA but if u have to ship internationally it helps a lot. The more u ship the bigger the discounts. Kim. P/S if this isn’t allowed please remove it @toolmanmike.
Good to know Kim. That's a tip we can use!. Thanks

Adding to what oldkimmer suggested for the post office, opening an account for UPS saves me at least 20-25% when I’m shipping in the US. I have a little side hustle repairing oil pans and making small parts and shipping can be a significant part of the overall cost. I’m glad I can save customers a little and pay it forward some.

Adding to what oldkimmer suggested for the post office, opening an account for UPS saves me at least 20-25% when I’m shipping in the US. I have a little side hustle repairing oil pans and making small parts and shipping can be a significant part of the overall cost. I’m glad I can save customers a little and pay it forward some.
I didn’t include FedEx as they take your credit card info. I sent a few things thru them and every time my credit card got dinged. I asked them about it when I got my statement. Their excuse was that it’s just a best guess and sometimes they guessed low. I asked them what can be done about this. Didn’t give me the time of day. I told them to close my account as I wouldn’t be using them anymore. The wouldn’t. So that credit card ran out as needed renewed so I didn’t renew with them. I still get emails asking for updated credit card info but I ignore them. Kim

Uh……. Did everyone already forget about Pirate Ship?

@coloradohill sent me an 8.75 housing in a cardboard box for, what was it(?), $57.00? You remember, Norm?

He made the box and got it all packaged up and sent me L/W/H dmensions and a weight. I emailed him the invoice from Pirate Ship, he printed it, taped it, and dropped it at a shipping point.

I’m not going to explain how Pirate Ship works but it is essentially what Kim is talking about with a business account.

There are plenty of Pirate Ship threads if you guys want a refresher.

Last edited:
"T" & I have been using Pirate shipping for a few years now. Noticeable discount with both UPS & USPS.

If the rearend has to go freight on a pallet, check with a UPS Store. A guy at Overnite Truck Lines gave me a quote to ship a NAG1 transmission, and it was stupid money. He told me to go to a UPS Store and ask about it. The dude there said to weigh the transmission, weigh the pallet and build a half assed box around it and make sure it didn't leak. I shipped it to Canada for a fraction of what Overnite wanted. Check with a UPS Store local to you and see if they can handle a pallet. Get your weight on parts and pallet and get them to quote it for you.

See this guys? $57.38 for a 8.75 housing in a cardboard box.

You’re not going to find a cheaper option. The choices through Pirate Ship are UPS and USPS. Plug in your information and it gives you the price breakdown and you chose the shipper. I most always go with UPS unless it can fit in an envelope, then I do USPS.

IMG_9127.jpeg

I didn’t include FedEx as they take your credit card info. I sent a few things thru them and every time my credit card got dinged. I asked them about it when I got my statement. Their excuse was that it’s just a best guess and sometimes they guessed low. I asked them what can be done about this. Didn’t give me the time of day. I told them to close my account as I wouldn’t be using them anymore. The wouldn’t. So that credit card ran out as needed renewed so I didn’t renew with them. I still get emails asking for updated credit card info but I ignore them. Kim
That happened to me too. FedEx is a joke.

-
Back