short throw shifter in my A-body

-

kingdragon

Reaction score
I'm building a 68 Dodge Dart with a bench seat floor shift four speed. This is a street/strip type car and by no means a museum correct restoration. I'm thinking about buying one of those speedway type Hurst shifters and drilling out a slip-in style handle that's correct for my car. Do you feel this combo would work? The other possibility I was thinking is I have a new reproduction shifter assembly for my 70 Roadrunner. This assembly has long "fingers" to shorten the throw of the big pistol grip handle. Do you feel I could put this 70 shifter in my car with 68 type handle? The idea being I would have a short throw factory appearing shifter assembly. I'm well aware the rods will need to be tweaked. Your thoughts please.

This sounds cool if it all works. I wasn't aware of the long finger roadrunner shifter. I ran a short straight handle pistol grip in one of my darts and it made things a little uncomfortable for long trips but for 1/4 it would have been perfect. Mated to the shifter you speak of may have made for a really cool set up.

It will take more effort for gears changes.
Give it a shot and let us know.
:burnout:

I used a short shifter for about 3 weeks, ( 2 events) and a half dozen missed shifts,, then changed back.

The 833 is a bear to shift, compared to most other trannys.. I found the extra length of the shifter gives me more leverage, and greatly reduces the # of missed shifts..

I'm sure a short shifter would be fine for the street,, but for serious shifting, and good et's.. the tall shifter suits ME better..

I also found the short shifter uncomfortable (wrist takes a beating) especially for a serious 2 -3 shift ...... jmo

hope it helps

-
Back