Shorty headers

-

70Duster340

Reaction score
Are there any shorty headers made that will fit a 1970 Duster with a 340, that will bolt up to stock exhaust? I currently have the hi-po manifolds, and a set of 2.5" TTI's.
Just looking for some added horsepower, if it's possible. I don't want to cut up the pipes, though. Thus why I'm asking for the shorties.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ouch! The TTI's sure ain't cheap! I have the 68-71 hi-po manifolds, and I guess at that price I will stay with those. Between the TTI system and the manifolds, I have about $900.00 invested. I was hoping for a bit more hp, and some clearance that the manifolds don't give me.

Hedman also makes shorties for your application.
Passenger Car Headers | Hedman Performance Group
But again, the head pipes are up to you.

not near the quality of TTI. A guy in our club had a set and had the rewelded once then got second set.

and they don’t come with a head pipe flange. And the outlet is in a very tough place that requires a lot of skill and time to make the head pipe flange and head pipe AKA $$$

Last edited:
not near the quality of TTI. A guy in our club had a set and had the rewelded once then got second set.

and the don’t come with a head pipe flange. And the outlet it in a very tough place that requires a lot of skill and time to make the head pipe flange and head pipe AKA $$$
Agreed, I just brought it up as another option.

I haven't installed anything yet. But at the prices for the shorties, I will most likely keep with the manifolds.
What would the gain in hp be from the manifolds to the shorties?

Well, that would be a noticeable difference!

Would a different set of manifolds make a difference, such as the ones mentioned previously?

Here's the reason that I posted this question. I have the aluminum Edelbrock heads, which were advertised (at the time, anyway) to be compatible with headers or stock manifolds. Due to the design of the driver's side manifold, it doesn't clear the head where it curls under. I have had it assembled when it was rebuilt, and to clear the area in question I had to add a header flange between the head and the manifold. It's already tight in the engine bay with the manifolds, and this just creates another clearance issue with installation of the engine. It also increases the chances of exhaust leaks, since the need gaskets between the head and the flange, and again between the flange and the manifold. I don't have any creature comforts like power steering or power brakes, so I don't have that issue to be concerned with. I have been in contact with an engineer from Edelbrock about grinding some from the head, but according to him, that's an area of the water jacket, and the amount that I could remove is minimal. I don't want to grind much from the manifold, since they are in excellent condition, and I believe that the area where the manifold is contacting the head is already pretty thin.

So, short of the flange idea, can anyone here offer any other solutions?

Thanks!

Sounds like a pain all right one thing I know is as good as 340 manifolds were there's still a big power cork and the more you improve your340 the more the restrictive manifold will come into play I have no experience with shorties though I always thought that would be a nice setup if done correctly I have always ran long tube headers and yes you have to tiptoe around the dips and bumps somewhat. But to me a perfect example is putting a six pack on a 340 with stock manifolds the gane is marginal but with a nice set of long tubes it's about 35 horses or more.

Thanks for the info. When I purchased the car it had a set of long tube headers that were a major PITA to deal with. The biggest drawback was how some of the tubes ran under the steering linkage. I understand the concept of equal length tubes, but that design didn't work well for me. That's the reason I asked about the shorties. I bought the hi-po manifolds at a swap meet for $275.00 and was determined to use them after some research. Not having a need to price headers until now, I have to say I am a bit depressed about the cost. But I guess it's a sign of the times.

-
Back