Shorty Hedman Headers

-

DragginMAster

Reaction score
I have hedman headers on my 68 Dart at the moment, of the kind that most people like, the ones that have the steering linkage running through the middle of one side and all the fun stuff.

I need to replace them because they have a long history of smacking the roadway due to hanging down to low and the car having ill adjusted torsion bars....

hopefully that will be fixed soon, but I will need to replace the headers and I do not want to pay the money for TTI headers and then have the added hassle of trying to get them onto the car.

So I am looking at the shorty headers offered by hedman

Here is a link to the shorties at summits website

part number 78500

hed-78500.jpg

they can also be seen at hedmans website too.

has anyone used them? I have heard you will lose some performance with the shorties but that is not much of a bother to me, I simply want something that fits right without being bashed into the roadway and speed bumps. and I want more than regular exhaust manifolds.

I want to know for sure that they truly clear power steering boxes and what not before buying them though, so, Anyone out there used these before?

hed-78500.jpg

hed-78500.jpg

One thing I don't understand DragginMaster is how do your Shorty headers smash on the ground? I realize that it must be the exhaust pipe not the header themselves that is coming contact with the ground but I have regular long tube headers and don't have that problem.

I don't see why the Hedmans wouldn't work as long as the exhaust pipe itself is bent so that it does not come in contact with the ground.

He has long tube under chassis headers and is looking to swap to the shorties.

Idunno.Whats the difference in clearance with a big block?Probably less romm than a small block.Im willing to bet they will work.

You guys are talking about 2 different sets of headers. The 78500 headers are for a small block. The headers on BigBlockDart are 78070 which are for a big block in a b-body that they actually tried to use in an a-body. According to the application page in Summit they will fit a Dart from 67 to 76. I would try it, the worst that can happen is sending them back or selling them to get your money back.

You guys are talking about 2 different sets of headers. The 78500 headers are for a small block. The headers on BigBlockDart are 78070 which are for a big block in a b-body that they actually tried to use in an a-body. According to the application page in Summit they will fit a Dart from 67 to 76. I would try it, the worst that can happen is sending them back or selling them to get your money back.

i couldn't have said it better myself.

I was starting to get worried about them as I read the page on big block dart, until I got to the bottom.

and your last sentance is very very true.

thanks guys.

I will be running a set of Patriot shorty Headers on My 72' 360 dart.
Saw them on a 71' and they seemed to fit well .This will not be a drag car so I don't think I'll notice the difference in performance.
We'll see I am hoping to have them installed before the new year.
Bought them from summit they are listed as a generic summit brand header
but all the literature that came with them says patriot on them.
Also the summit's are much more affordable so I was able to get them
with the ceramic coating too!:thumbup:
summitracing.com

Draggin Master if you go with the Headman shorty's can you let us know about fittment. My son is looking at a set of these but the guy at the speed shop told us they fit an A body very poorly. Maybe even some pics.
Thanks

Draggin Master if you go with the Headman shorty's can you let us know about fittment. My son is looking at a set of these but the guy at the speed shop told us they fit an A body very poorly. Maybe even some pics.
Thanks

absolutely Keith, I don't know how soon I will be getting to that stage of the project but when I do I will be sure to be posting all the info I can

Just what I was after ,will they fit a 88' 150 trk 360 ?The reg ,long tubes won't fit the{ Dyno max } 88' mine is a 86 'fit perfect .Frame is different at the Motor mount!

have them on my 360 71 swinger w/ good ground clearance also a mini starter, the worst think about the exaust is reducing at the header to sumthin like 2 1/4 then bending and twisting it up to fit. tti has what seems to be the best out there. does any body know if those dougs headers really fit the sb a body they run 380 for decent looking headers.

i don't know man... i know i used to ***** about how much the tti headders cost until i put a set on my dart... man i'll tell ya they are well worth the money.... the quality and fit is great.... i will never put a cheap set of headders on future cars again.... with the tti's the plugs are easy to get to, no burning plug wires, great ground clearance and starter acess is good too... thos shorty headders look to be more of a pain then they are worth.... that dump is gonna be tight between the motor mount and starter. then running the exhaust pipe is gonna be tricky clearing the steering,starter,motor mount and keeping it from hanging low. by the time you spend the money on the headders and pay the exhaust guy to run new head pipes your probably gonna be close to a tti price...

abodyhotrod, do you have any photos of your installation that you can post here? This is a topic that keeps cropping up every couple of months, and I'm sure a few photos would greatly help some folks. Thanks.

i just ran at the local track and went w/open headers. let me put them back on and i'll snap sum pics

i really dont like my set up. plenty of ground clearance,lots of exaust gasget blowouts.

after seeing those pics and how restrictive thos small head pipes and bends are either buy the tti headders or run a 340 manifold. those shortty headders are not worth the trouble and mess you end up with..

after seeing those pics and how restrictive thos small head pipes and bends are either buy the tti headders or run a 340 manifold. those shortty headders are not worth the trouble and mess you end up with..

Yep.. might as well go with a high quality long tube headers. I understand the basics around shorty headers for clearance and some issues but I believe long tube belong on a muscle car. The shorties belong on late model autos that just will not allow clearance of regular type header. I've got Hedman headers on my cuda and they aren't the best you can get but I have no clearance issues or ground to header contact.

-
Back