shots from the garage...

-

A body

SLO-KID
Reaction score
Not sure why... but I really had the motivation to work on the car yesterday. Mocked up the mounts and spacers, drilled and got the threaded inserts in place. Got the engine sitting in a correct enough position to where most of the header tubes align. Made an appointment with a local header guru to finish them up. I tried playing around with my welder on a few sections of header tubing, but I don't have a bottle and really couldn't get a good quality weld with the rosin core wire I have. I'm NOT a welder and have alot to learn in that area.

holes drilled, inserts tacked in:

null_zpsc2132b35.png

finally sitting where it needs to be. Had everything mocked up with a Milodon pan... but then found we had a rear sump pan so we decided to use it.... well the front of the sump was deeper too and the engine was contacting the steering rack... had to come up with some 3/4" spacers and raised the engine and trans back to original height. The next engine will sit lower in the chassis since the headers will have to be made from scratch.

null_zpsaa66ca89.jpg

still plenty of ground clearance allthough I can see the 300 springs have settled some. Will probably have to have 350-375 springs for the heavy pig of a small block that will be engine #2...

null_zpsc3ff8bcb.jpg

most of the weight on it and it's sittin pretty. Hopefully it will be making some noise in the next month...

null_zps2fb79e9f.jpg

iron master cylinder gone and the 15/16" bore Dr. Diff aluminum master on the bench ready for install. I also found the time to make my appointment and the huge hurdle of having the header tubes getting from point A to B is done! Not too much keeping this heap from running...

these are a set of Hedman Hustlers that we've used in the past. Only hang up is that the passenger side never fit with any pan that we had unless we used a 1/4" spacer. Two tubes always hit the sides of either the Milodon low pro pan, or the truck rear sump pan that we are running now, that and we had to adjust for the relocated steering since the Comp Chassis tube K and steering were installed. All is well and it's cool being an hour away from a header master at REF. Already have plans on seeing him again when the W8 goes in.

finally fired up the 360... runs great and no leaks after running 15 minutes which is always nice. Still need to bleed the brakes and then get it over to work and align the front end...

F1639FBA-598D-458E-8D00-6732A228706E_zpsrexnx5wi.jpg

got the truck and associated wiring done to my tastes....
72714C9B-2B83-4330-85AA-6AECF1C1D7CC_zps91unmo2u.jpg

....and before it hits the track this might be ready to fit in place

FEF7E6A3-1C5F-43A0-90B9-CC5B4AA1DC34_zpszqqsdu2a.jpg

I still need to tackle the interior wiring..... or just add a jar of Ragu under the dash!

Brake system is kicking my butt! I've never had so many leaks during a reassembly.. Ditched the Earls hoses for some from a local outift.......that didn't leak!! live and learn...

got the interior spruced up and got rid of a ton of wiring and just cleaned things up in general. Added a new electric coolant temp gauge and a trans temp gauge. also have to wire up the tach.

....and drug this thing home. will be a challenge for me to make it fit.

AEAC131A-BFDC-44F6-BA05-D425CCD8798A_zpsp6fqo82w.jpg

Cage and tube K/steering rack was done by Comp Chassis in Glendale AZ. They did the cage and ladder set up on my old Mirada and the way that car worked saw no reason to go anywhere else.

Cage and tube K/steering rack was done by Comp Chassis in Glendale AZ. They did the cage and ladder set up on my old Mirada and the way that car worked saw no reason to go anywhere else.
Which cable are you using for the shifter ?
Mine came with a 5 ' and it is about 2 ' short if I route it like they suggest........I ordered an 8 ' , which will work , but now I have to hide some of it somewhere I think. It will be here Friday and if you hear the swearing , you'll know that didn't work either. :D

You have a Cheetah and the 5' cable wouldn't work? What are you putting it in?

I just put one in my car with the 5' and it worked fine.

what length are your front shocks?

They are 14" with a 10" spring Jesse. 300 springs on right now, but that will have to increase with the other engine for sure. Almost betting it will take a 400-425.

I'll check the cable tomorrow John and post the length up and try to get some shots of the deal.

You have a Cheetah and the 5' cable wouldn't work? What are you putting it in?

I just put one in my car with the 5' and it worked fine.

'65 Dart. The cable exits the front of the shifter and I planned on routing it through the firewall.....the instructions say 180 degree bend from there , down the pass. side to the tail shaft to two 90 degree bends and forward.
Even if I run the cable through the floor directly in front of the shifter , I don't see there being enough cable to make it.

Attachments

• cutting 032.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 3,402
dang tight to measure.... but it is the 5ft cable. enters the floor about 5" in front of the shifter, loops sharp and over and around back of the trans.

Jay I have a 12in and 250# spring that 300# might not transfer weight fast enough for you.

I had 200's on it and it set the front of the car on the ground with just the iron headed 360. The 300's give me the proper ride height and will allow for enough extension and rebound. I had the measurements for static ride height, but lost them when we moved. I just know the R3/W8 weighs alot more!

-
Back