Shroud for Champion 22"

-

Ricks70Duster340

Child of the King
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When I bought my '70 Duster it had a Champion 22" radiator with no shroud. I need to improve low speed cooling so wanting a shroud that will fit when using 7 blade A/C style OE fan with clutch. Any ideas? Hate to think I need to buy another radiator just to get a shroud!

When I bought my '70 Duster it had a Champion 22" radiator with no shroud. I need to improve low speed cooling so wanting a shroud that will fit when using 7 blade A/C style OE fan with clutch. Any ideas? Hate to think I need to buy another radiator just to get a shroud!

radiatorhroud-jpg.jpg

no more over heating !!!!!!!!!

img_20200223_111620807-jpg.jpg

Which radiator? Some support the factory shroud, but there are gaps that need filled between the top and bottom tanks. Same with Cold Case radiators.

Cold Case Radiator Shroud?

See post 5 for what I did with a stock shroud and a Cold Case and most aluminum radiators have this same gap issue.

Which radiator? Some support the factory shroud, but there are gaps that need filled between the top and bottom tanks. Same with Cold Case radiators.

Cold Case Radiator Shroud?

See post 5 for what I did with a stock shroud and a Cold Case and most aluminum radiators have this same gap issue.
I have the 526 with these dimensions.
526.jpg

I bought a Champion Radiator, and talked to the rep on the phone as I was ordering it, he said to get a factory one from Mancini Racing.
I didn't , so I personally can't say it fits. But you could call Mancini.

A factory 22" shroud will bolt up, but there'll be a large gap on the top and bottom. With some creativity and a little sheet metal, one can easily modify the shroud for a perfect seal.

Still happy with the results? I assume you also noticed a substantial increase in low speed cooling?

Yes, adding the shroud ended my cooling issues in all driving conditions. I also installed the hood to rad support seal to keep the underhood heat from getting sucked through the rad. Also running Evans waterless coolant and the 3x10 overflow tank.

Very happy with it. And going with the 2 piece shroud makes it super easy to remove which i've had to do more than once for various reasons.

I'll add that with this setup I consistently measure a drop of 30 - 40 degrees between the upper and lower rad hoses with my temp gun after taking the 408 out to play.

Last edited:
Yes, adding the shroud ended my cooling issues in all driving conditions. I also installed the hood to rad support seal to keep the underhood heat from getting sucked through the rad. Also running Evans waterless coolant and the 3x10 overflow tank.

Very happy with it. And going with the 2 piece shroud makes it super easy to remove which i've had to do more than once for various reasons.

I'll add that with this setup I consistently measure a drop of 30 - 40 degrees between the upper and lower rad hoses with my temp gun after taking the 408 out to play.
Once again, excellent documentation that will help me a lot with doing the same thing to my setup. These long South Texas summers can be a challenge!

-
Back