Side Marker Light Question

-

RichardR

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the classic car scene and I recently bought a 1971 Plymouth Scamp. I was wondering if the side marker lights are supposed to signal lights as well? Right now they just light up. If they are signal lights too, what could be the problem other then the bulb itself?

Thanks

There is a way to make them on with park lamps and blink with signals too if you're willing to alter the wiring.

I think you'll find all the info at the Daniel Stern Lighting webpages. If not, I can attempt explaining.

I think you'll find all the info at the Daniel Stern Lighting webpages. If not, I can attempt explaining.
just rewire the hot wire from them, to the hot wire feeding ur signal lights. would be the same for fender mounted turn signals.

There are 2 hot wires to a 1157 park/turn bulb. A 194 bulb has only 1 element, thus only 1 hot wire. The question here was how to get both park and turn from the single element bulb. ( those hood mounted indicators don't work with the park circuit )
I'm going to add a drawing here... and I know that some will say this can't possibly work because its too damn simple. It does work though. This is how GM did it in several million vehicles.
If you do this, someday later down the road, a turn indicator in the dash will come on with the park lamps. That will indicate loss of ground path. Most likely that side marker bulb needs to be replaced.

How GM made sidemarkers blink.jpg

-
Back