Single pane vs Dual pane

-

dazedduster

Reaction score
I Was Crunching Numbers On Desktop Dyno And Noticed That Solid Lifters And A Single Pane Intake Increased Hp By About 85hp Does This Sound Right. Would This Work For A Mostly Street DRIVEN Engine Advice And Knowledge Would Be Appricated (THIS IS IN A 383 B.B.)

Thanks

Sounds about right. But look at what it is really doing; you are helping high end breathing and moving the torque peak up in RPM. The single plane is going to suffer in lower RPM throttle response. On a street driven car, most people find a dual plane better in traffic. However, if you have low gears, a high stall converter and a traction problem a single plane might be just your ticket.

Desktop Dyno is not much better then a car on Xbox. Real world is what you need to concern yourself with. Your engine may have issues holding it back. I love seeing engines that were "dyno'd" by the desktop on a real dyno. Guess which one is ALWAYS much higher? I've seen several "500hp 440s" that cant pull 450 at the crank. Never focus on the numbers, only the trends, and you'll be much better off.

The program assumes a single plane as a race device and assumes accordingly.
In example, a TorkerII in a S/B shotout did no better than anyother dual plane and actually worse than a 6 pak and RPM.

Also, a real race single would perform much like the programs outcome, but feel very bad on the street. Remember this, theres fellas here running low 11's with a dual plane.

Well I Am Definatly Going Dual Pane (already Bought It) Just Found It Intresting. This Is My First Performance Build And Appricate The Input. What Do You Guys Think It Would Take To Get 400hp Out Of A 383 Or Am I Out Of Line

400 hp out of a 383 B engine or stroked S/B.

Ethier way, not much. OUt of line? Hardly.

stock hp 383 from a road runner was 335hp. Dart/Barracuda would be a little less I think because of the exhaust manifolds.

Mopar Muscle built one and made over 400hp with bolt ons but they need to rev like a small block. They started out by building a bone stock 69 383 right down to the stock exhaust, intake and carb and cam. It made 338hp. Then they ended up swapping a Comp Cams XE284H cam, A Mopar Perf. M1 single plane intake, A set of Hooker 1-7/8" headers and a Demon 850 carb. It made over 400hp. I'll try and dig out the mag.

I have a '85 p/u with a 400/727 (73 fury motor), eddy 383 performer intake, 2" headers, and a 750 d/p-d/f and that sucker smokes the tires at will. Out of the hole that sucker hammers, I often wonder how much hp it could be with everything else is stock.

Mopar Muscle also did a 400 build up that cranked out 400+ HP with zero deck pistons, Comp Cams Xe268, Weiand dual plane and a 750 Holley.
Then a swap was made to a T-Q and MoPar single plane M-1 and made more power across the board in torqe and HP beating the dual plane everywhere.
For the 383, I would suggest the next cam up since it is a tad smaller and the 400 in the build just cleared 400 hp.

dazedduster said:
What Do You Guys Think It Would Take To Get 400hp Out Of A 383 Or Am I Out Of Line
A cam and headers, plus a decent ignition...lol. All the rest stock stuff would be fine.

The single plane intake will make the most power at higher rpm. But you have to consider the combo as many times on a street car the dual plane is the way to go. In most cases the single plane needs the gear and convertor to make it shine. My sons 400 in his Dart uses a Performer RPM dual plane and has run 11.55 @ 116. With a single plane it ran 11.59 @ 117. It had more mph but was not as strong on the low end and mid range. If he had more gear and convertor the single plane would win. He uses 3.91's and a Dynamic 9.5 convertor.
As for 400 hp out of a 383.......piece of cake. We used to have a mild 383 in my boys Dart that was basically a stock 383 with the MP .484 cam , headers , Performer RPM and 750 DP. It had a TA 10" convertor and ran 12.31 @ 110 in his stock body Dart. When I put the weight and mph in the calculator it came out right about 400 hp at the flywheel. Ron

what about have a dual plane all port matched and polished etc. to the max that would increase top end right or would u gain top end and lose bottom end??

You cant reach more than 1/2 of it. So it's a huge waste of effort or $$...lol. You can adda spacer and add plenum volume, that tends to raise rpm potential some. You can port match, which helps in everything really. But the truth is, if you're reaching for a certain rpm range and power lvel, you need to use the right parts. Not try to make them what they are not.

Those 383's are the most overlooked engine there is. You can pick one up cheaper than a 340 or 440. Most of them already have the 906 heads & steel crank. A bargain if you ask me.

h340, the best you can do with a dual plane is what moper said. Another trick is milling the center divider. But this mod is more for a race set up that requires a dual plane intake. Your making mods to help it out. The divider mill is a permaent mod that kills some low torque.
With the exception of the RPM and probably the stealth, all dual planes will need these mods to help it outbeyond what it is cast for.
It is simply better to get the intake swapped out.
383mans example is an excellent one.

Mike, I think your right only followed by the "B" 400 once it gets a piston change for some decent squeeze. Problem around my way is actually finding one these days around my way.

-
Back