Slant 6 Aluminum Performance Head

-

Fredsgarage

64 Dart Vert Project, 62 Lancer Wagon BIG project
Reaction score
Slant 6 Aluminum Performance Head.

I have talked to the proposed and well known manufacturer and have at this point only seen prototypes.

I would be interested even if it meant inclusion of a special intake manifold (needed due to larger valve placement) and even further interested if it meant the necessary use of non factory exhaust.

If it hits the market it probably wont be cheap. The manufacturer is testing interest and is doing market studies before considering the big investment in development casting. There are many big foundries internationally that could pull this off, for a price.

I really am not trying to start "it" again on this sacred cow of a subject. I know that a Slant6AluminumHead would be exciting only if it meets potential performance gains as well as weight savings.

No hate mail please. I am a Slant Fan and am not trying to do anymore than to help check interest for the company. I say a well thought out Slant 6 Aluminum Performance Head would be the pinnacle of success for any Slant motor if done right.

James

#Slant6AluminumHead

V8y0c.gif

Meh, slap a blower on the stocker and your miles ahead of an aluminum head
(Cheaper too)

The biggest drawback of a /6 head is that it was designed for a 170 cu in engine . Even a stock 225 is choked down a lot . The stock bore is too small to flow enough air to make serious power . I understand why a potential manufacturer is shy about going forward with a project like that . Redesigning the whole head is in order . the Aussie 264 or the 4.0L Jeep have much more potential .

The biggest drawback of a /6 head is that it was designed for a 170 cu in engine . Even a stock 225 is choked down a lot . The stock bore is too small to flow enough air to make serious power . I understand why a potential manufacturer is shy about going forward with a project like that . Redesigning the whole head is in order . the Aussie 264 or the 4.0L Jeep have much more potential .

Hey all true! But imagine if you could increase compression and because of the aluminum you are doing it safely, then if flow numbers could be engineered properly with larger better valve placement, then everything that you attach to it; a cam, intake, carb, natural or blown gets that many times better. This could be huge!

The was a guy that did a billet CNC head on Slantsix.org. IIRC there was no interest. Wanna blow some minds? Look at a Jag straight 6 head...pretty close bore spacing! Of course youd have to figure out about everything else too.

<<<PS>>> I think there was actually an AL slant head that was produced in South America and I think a slantsix guy bought it and had it sent up here. Dutra would know.

Last edited:
@Charrlie_S knows someone with an aluminum slant six head. I would love for it to happen, but it's not going to.

Howard Davis made a "one of" billet aluminum head for a slant six. There is a post and pics, somewhere over on dot org. He is/was running it on his engine. at the time it was posted, it was stated he would not do another one. That is all I know about it. There are a couple of "factory" aluminum slant six prototype heads out in the real world, but I don't know who has them.

If someone had some specs to work from, and knew how to draw in a solid works program, you could have a CNC head of any design you wanted.

kinda hard to CNC water jackets..gun drill? Id propose a 2 piece head with a top and a thick bottom. Top would just be to cap off the routed water jackets, no cylinder pressure. Wasnt there an AMC drag racer that would top a head and graft another on top so he could get a taller intake runner? "Hey, they are factory heads!" :)

There are some folks who really want to go as fast as possible with NA. Not the easiest way, but maybe the purest, for what that is worth. Lots of opinions, not many options, nothing cheap. If a billet crank was $3K years ago, what would an aluminum head cost, $5K? And such a small market. Can't get a roller cam, have to fabricate a lot of parts for the oiling system. I know I am rambling, but you can see why Hellcrate swaps are so popular.

Last edited:
You are checking for interest in an aluminum /6 head with no defined target chamber volume, flow numbers, actual collateral modifications, any sense of specialty items needed to accommodate the head/valvetrain, and a target $$$$...................
A lot of Us have imaginations, & different opinions on what this head should be, without specific details You're going to get lots of spectating,.....& that's about it........................

Unless it's COMPLETELY redesigned, as in a cross flow, OR SOMEHOW move the valves around for better port configuration, I don't think there's a lot of room for improvement, other than simply being made out of lighter aluminum. The ports are already the limiting factor, and unless they are "moved around" for optimum placement, there's not much to gain, IMO. Problem is, there ain't a lot of room "THERE". This dream pops up about every couple of years, so we're used to it.

-
Back