Slant 6 Dual Point Distributor Conversion.

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here's where I am so far. I took an early Hemi dual point breaker plate from a 331 Hemi distributor and fitted it to a slant 6 single point housing. I had to drill one hole for the breaker plate, as one hole did not line up, but other than that, it bolted in. Both pair of points are installed and set to .020". I've read two schools of thought. One says the points should "overlap" somewhat, the other says one set "makes" and one "breaks". The latter is where we are. One set opens and closes completely, then the other. Will that be good or bad? What about rotor phasing? Will any of that " matter"? Will it run? lol I need to wire it up and install the condenser and it should be ready to try. Only the shadow knows what it will do. LOL

SLANT DUAL POINT.jpg

It cannot close or else the coil starts charging again, then the other points open and your left with a very small discharge in the middle of the stroke. They must overlap. You need to increase your gap (if even possible) so they offer one loong opening (edit: one overlapped short opening so you have a looonger closed "charge up" time) seems backwards but that's how a dual point works . I dont think that 45 degree 8 plate is gonna work with your 30 degree 6 lobes, the offset is incorrect. Hope I'm wrong but you may have to relocate one set to get the 30 degree /6 offset. OR just run one set and don't tell anyone.......

Last edited:
It cannot close or else the coil starts charging again, then the other points open and your left with a very small discharge in the middle of the stroke. They must overlap. You need to increase your gap (if even possible) so they offer one loong opening. I dont think that 45 degree 8 plate is gonna work with your 30 degree 6 lobes, the offset is incorrect. Hope I'm wrong but you may have to relocate one set to get the 30 degree /6 offset. OR just run one set and don't tell anyone.......

I'm sure you're correct. I was hoping it would all fall together.....since it kinda fell together. LOL

Hold the phone! I just reread my response and there is one glaring error on my part: It takes a complete opening of the points(S) to trigger the coil breakdown and discharge. You got 2 and if one is open and one is still closed, the system still sees the closed point to ground so you need the point where they are both open, in that instance where there is a complete open (by both) is where you get your spark. If they open and close outside each others degree range, youll never get an "open" and a spark. Chew on that while I join in.......I think its still a matter of getting the 2nd point contacts open to be within the first ones 'range'. Good lord Rob, what have you created? I just fdont think the 6's 30 degrees needs a dual points extended dwell time as its already bigger than any 8 lober.

Hold the phone! I just reread my response and there is one glaring error on my part: It takes a complete opening of the points(S) to trigger the coil breakdown and discharge. You got 2 and if one is open and one is still closed, the system still sees the closed point to ground so you need the point where they are both open, in that instance where there is a complete open (by both) is where you get your spark. If they open and close outside each others degree range, youll never get an "open" and a spark. Chew on that while I join in.......I think its still a matter of getting the 2nd point contacts open to be within the first ones 'range'. Good lord Rob, what have you created? I just fdont think the 6's 30 degrees needs a dual points extended dwell time as its already bigger than any 8 lober.

I just went out and checked my original Mallory small block dual point distributor and one set opens and closes completely, then the other. Just like this distributor. And the Mallory has never been modified. I rebuilt it a few years ago, but didn't change a thing. So beats the hell outta me.

Yeah, I'm at a loss now too if that is how it works (Double life Mallory 4 lober) . Where is @halifaxhops to straighten us out? Finally found a dual point 6 distributor, note the closeness of the 2 points blocks to the lobes, almost on top of each other...
DualPoints.jpg

Last edited:
That will exist, but its the open time overlap were figuring out. maybe this will help....listen to first sentence....Mustang 6 Mallory dual point..@3:40 is interesting

Last edited:
That will exist, but its the open time overlap were figuring out. maybe this will help....listen to first sentence....Mustang 6 Mallory dual point

Oh I ain't arguing. I'm agreeing. I'm just tellin you what I see.

Yeh the simple story is they must overlap when both or open. The reason you cannot just simply close down a single point to increase dwell is at least two fold. One is that when you close down a single to increase dwell, with less gap, they simply become more critical, and don't have to wear very far to "wear closed."

The other issue is that when you close down a single point in that matter, they don't open as quick, and the points tend to burn worse

Yeh the simple story is they must overlap when both or open. The reason you cannot just simply close down a single point to increase dwell is at least two fold. One is that when you close down a single to increase dwell, with less gap, they simply become more critical, and don't have to wear very far to "wear closed."

The other issue is that when you close down a single point in that matter, they don't open as quick, and the points tend to burn worse

They may possibly overlap if I add more dwell, but I'm not sure how "correct" that would be.

Check out @11:00...your 2 seperate trigger events! now I"m really confused! This was like the 2nd week of auto shop? I musta been absent....wasted spark? Maybe this guys full of it.

Check out @11:00...your 2 seperate trigger events! now I"m really confused! This was like the 2nd week of auto shop? I musta been absent....wasted spark? Maybe this guys full of it.

Yeah he had his completely making and breaking separately. Like both mine. Strange.

I just went out and checked my original Mallory small block dual point distributor and one set opens and closes completely, then the other. Just like this distributor. And the Mallory has never been modified. I rebuilt it a few years ago, but didn't change a thing. So beats the hell outta me.
Ahhh, is that a double life 8 distributor with 4 lobes? There you go! we may have 2 different designs bouncing around this post.

Doh! All my reasoning was based on a 8 lobe dual point Presotolite 273-4 dizzy. Carry on mad man.

Doh! All my reasoning was based on a 8 lobe dual point Presotolite 273-4 dizzy. Carry on mad man.

Well, if the double life works with one set making and breaking separately of the other, is there a reason this slant six distributor won't? I guess the only way to find out is finish it out, stick a rotor and cap on it put a ballast, coil and one plug wire and a plug and see if it'll fire. Crapped if I know.

I set the point gaps both to .035" and now I have overlap. I can get it to where both point sets are open. So what next? LOL

If you got the overlap, find the instant both points are open and set your towers over the rotor.... Your there! The overlap creates a very small degree of "open" (trigger) and the rest of the time is now used to charge the coil.

Well, if the double life works with one set making and breaking separately of the other, is there a reason this slant six distributor won't? I guess the only way to find out is finish it out, stick a rotor and cap on it put a ballast, coil and one plug wire and a plug and see if it'll fire. Crapped if I know.
if you put a 3 lobe in it (and get the point offset right for a 6) it will work like your double life-half lobe-double hit mickey.

If you got the overlap, find the instant both points are open and set your towers over the rotor.... Your there! The overlap creates a very small degree of "open" (trigger) and the rest of the time is now used to charge the coil.

if you put a 3 lobe in it (and get the point offset right for a 6) it will work like your double life-half lobe-double hit mickey.

They are both open "about" 5 degrees before one of the towers.

RRR,
My understanding is there are two types of DP dist.
Type one. One set of pts opens, & the other set opens before the first set closes to extend current charging to the coil. Uses an 8 lobe dist cam if 8 cyl engine.

Type two. Pts #1 opens & closes, & pts #2 remains open during this period. When pts #1 opens, pts #2 closes & then opens, ready for the cycle to repeat. This type of dist if used on an 8 cyl needs a dist cam with 4 lobes.

-
Back