Slant 6 K-Frame = LOTS of Clearance

-

myduster360

Reaction score
Anyone using a 72 and older Slant 6 K frame for their swap?
I got these pics off the G3 Hemi swap FB group and extra clearance seems to be significantly better than a V8 K frame.

As of now on my brothers 67 Cuda with a LX intake & timing cover, we have to use a remote oil filter and no option for A/C

But the Slant 6 Kframe seems to offer a lot more clearance on the Right side for just oil filter or at worse just a 45 or 90 degree adapter.

upload_2018-2-14_16-59-9.png

It even looks possible to bolt on the A/C compressor. The rear mounting boss, which is used for the V8 krame mounts, is completely exposed with a Slant 6 kframe

upload_2018-2-14_17-0-9.png

Last edited:
15B021E4-084D-4D68-844A-BBD83D83581E.jpeg
Anyone using a 73 and older Slant 6 K frame for their swap?
I got these pics off the G3 Hemi swap FB group and extra clearance seems to be significantly better than a V8 K frame.

As of now on my brothers 67 Cuda with a LX intake & timing cover, we have to use a remote oil filter and no option for A/C

But the Slant 6 Kframe seems to offer a lot more clearance on the Right side for just oil filter or at worse just a 45 or 90 degree adapter.

View attachment 1715142112

It even looks possible to bolt on the A/C compressor. The rear mounting boss, which is used for the V8 krame mounts, is completely exposed with a Slant 6 kframe

View attachment 1715142113
I used my 75 Darts slant 6 k member for my 383 swap.. my k member looks different then the pictures you have. I could just be looking at it wrong. But yes the k member works great for a big block.

Sorry I'm talking about the older biscuit mount K-Frame, NOT the later Spool mounts.
Also this is New Hemi swap forum,,,so how exactly does that apply to big blocks?

upload_2018-2-14_19-20-4.png

Sorry I'm talking about the older biscuit mount K-Frame, NOT the later Spool mounts.
Also this is New Hemi swap forum,,,so how exactly does that apply to big blocks?

View attachment 1715142161
I thought you said 72 and older k member and I didn’t realize it was a hemi forum, my Apologies.. just thought you were talking about using a slant 6 k member for any swap.

Sooo... could it be possible to use a early style slant k-member and use a borgeson power steering box and run A/C? If so I might do that instead of going with an aftermarket K-member

Here's a 73 V8 Spool mount k frame slightly modified so the factory AC location on a car 5.7 Hemi will fit. I cut the spool saddle off the k frame, and flipped it over and moved it back. I used TTI headers and motor mounts, but I hacked up the drivers side TTI mount and made it into what I have now. I spaced the AC compressor out about a half inch for more clearance on the header tube. It's shown with a factory manual box, but I'm going to try a Borgeson to see if it will fit....and I feel like it will! There's plenty of ways to skin a cat....lol.
Motor mount 006.JPG
Motor mount 003.JPG
Motor mount 005.JPG
Motor mount 007.JPG
Motor mount 004.JPG

Here's a 73 V8 Spool mount k frame slightly modified so the factory AC location on a car 5.7 Hemi will fit. I cut the spool saddle off the k frame, and flipped it over and moved it back. I used TTI headers and motor mounts, but I hacked up the drivers side TTI mount and made it into what I have now. I spaced the AC compressor out about a half inch for more clearance on the header tube. It's shown with a factory manual box, but I'm going to try a Borgeson to see if it will fit....and I feel like it will! There's plenty of ways to skin a cat....lol.

It's not exactly the same as mine was in 73 B-body but I did the same thing, I simply cut off the perches, flipped them backwards and then re-worked the Schumacher spool mounts. I didn't have to space my A/C or anything and mine used a factory power steering box, but its also a little larger.

Cut off the perches:
35360315611_10995514e1_k.jpg
73 roadrunner project by rescuediver1982, on Flickr

Flip them around:
35525111326_f897ddb415_k.jpg
Untitled by rescuediver1982, on Flickr

35525106176_87153ed062_k.jpg

34754990673_2b68d478b5_k.jpg

And bingo...
35395959742_23f2486000_k.jpg

The Mounts:
35176980370_a41ee649ee_k.jpg

35563783485_479543d53a_k.jpg

Here is a link to my build FBBO thread with a crap load of pics on how I did all sorts of things...
73 Roadrunner Clone with 5.7/545rfe (very pic heavy)

Hope it helps....

Here's a 73 V8 Spool mount k frame slightly modified so the factory AC location on a car 5.7 Hemi will fit. I cut the spool saddle off the k frame, and flipped it over and moved it back.

It's not exactly the same as mine was in 73 B-body but I did the same thing, I simply cut off the perches, flipped them backwards and then re-worked the Schumacher spool mounts. .

It appears simply starting with a Slant 6 K-Krame instead of the ciommon V8, may bypass all the hack/cut/welding tha you guys had to do. Yes?

It appears simply starting with a Slant 6 K-Krame instead of the ciommon V8, may bypass all the hack/cut/welding tha you guys had to do. Yes?

It sounds like the thought is you would still have to use the smaller borgeson steering box. Mine was with the factory p/s box in a b-body.

Are you by any chance planning on running power steering?
Yes, My plans are the 6.4 crate engine, A/C, Borgeson Gen2 P/S box, TTI headers, and a factory Torsion bar suspension. I'm not against upgrades to the suspension, but I want to keep the factory design with a K frame and tie rod ends as opposed to most of the aftermarket coil over and rack & pinion front suspensions with Heim joints. I have 3 different K frames at my disposal for the Demon: a pre 73 V8 pad mount, 73 and up V8 spool mount and a pre 73 pad mount slant six K frame. There has to be some combo out there that will accommodate the A/C compressor and a K frame. I just don't want to be buying a bunch of parts from different sources only to find out that they wont work or that there is a simpler solution. I should have the engine and A/C FEAD here within the next few weeks and I can start to see how this is all going to fit. Here is my progress so far with the Demon, I had hoped to have the fuel system and the bottom done by spring but I'm running behind....as usual!

IMG_20171116_181544803.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, My plans are the 6.4 crate engine, A/C, Borgeson Gen2 P/S box, TTI headers, and a factory Torsion bar suspension. I'm not against upgrades to the suspension, ,,,, I have 3 different K frames at my disposal for the Demon: a pre 73 V8 pad mount, 73 and up V8 spool mount and a pre 73 pad mount slant six K frame.

The /6 K frame with Schumacher Hemi mount for SURE will simply Oil filter setup. With the other two v8 A-body k-frame a remote oil filter setup is needed. It appears as if the a /6 k-frame won't need anything or at most a 90 or 45 degree adapter.

The A/C has a good chance of fitting too.

btw, I'm just south of Springfield if you need anything.

Last edited:
The /6 K frame with Schumacher Hemi mount for SURE will simply Oil filter setup. With the other two v8 A-body k-frame a remote oil filter setup is needed. It appears as if the a /6 k-frame wot need anything or at most a 90 or 45 degree adapter.

The A/C has a good chance of fitting too.

btw, I'm just south of Springfield if you need anything.
So far that does look promising! Its also good to hear of some others in the (sort of) area doing a similar swap. I'm just outside of Peoria

Here's a 73 V8 Spool mount k frame slightly modified so the factory AC location on a car 5.7 Hemi will fit. I cut the spool saddle off the k frame, and flipped it over and moved it back. I used TTI headers and motor mounts, but I hacked up the drivers side TTI mount and made it into what I have now. I spaced the AC compressor out about a half inch for more clearance on the header tube. It's shown with a factory manual box, but I'm going to try a Borgeson to see if it will fit....and I feel like it will! There's plenty of ways to skin a cat....lol

JD Mopar, What A/C compressor are you using in the picture you posted?
The A/C lines look to have a fairly unobstructed connection area. the Mopar compressor being sold as an accessory to the crate Hemi (Part # 68202994AA) looks to have the connection points for the lines in a different location from what you pictured and it looks like it will interfere with the header. here is your original pic, and an image of the new Mopar compressor for reference

68202994AA compressor.png

Motor mount with AC.JPG

JD Mopar, What A/C compressor are you using in the picture you posted?
The A/C lines look to have a fairly unobstructed connection area. the Mopar compressor being sold as an accessory to the crate Hemi (Part # 68202994AA) looks to have the connection points for the lines in a different location from what you pictured and it looks like it will interfere with the header. here is your original pic, and an image of the new Mopar compressor for reference

View attachment 1715202471

View attachment 1715202472

JD's compressor looks to be the same factory one that is on my 06 6.1

My AC compressor is a stock 2006 Hemi part. My motor came from a 2006 Dodge Wagnum that got mashed up with 6000 miles on it. I did modify the rear mounts on the compressor slightly. I just sawed them off and used shorter bolts. My motor is out of the car right now, and I can get a pic of it if you'd like.

My AC compressor is a stock 2006 Hemi part. My motor came from a 2006 Dodge Wagnum that got mashed up with 6000 miles on it. I did modify the rear mounts on the compressor slightly. I just sawed them off and used shorter bolts. My motor is out of the car right now, and I can get a pic of it if you'd like.

That would be great! I just don't want to be buying multiple parts and finding out what fits by trial and error!

Here's a few pics. There isn't a bolt in the bottom hole in the back mount. I may not put one there, because it would be such a pain to get out with the motor in the car.
Motor mount 004.JPG
Motor mount 004.JPG
Motor mount 005.JPG

The purpose for the spacers you see between the AC compressor and the engine, is to get the compressor a little farther away from the # 1 header tube. I'm still gonna ding the tube for a little more clearance, Clarence! :)
Motor mount 006.JPG

It's been a while but I thought I'd give an update of where my project of having A/C on my 3G Hemi is. I have my 6.4 Crate engine and I dug up my 71 pad mount slant six K frame out of the basement and ordered the Schumacher mounts. As it turns out the Left side motor mounts are the same on these K frames regardless of if it's a slant six or a V8. The Right side is different, and that will help with the oil filter. So, I found a compressor off of a wrecked 2008 300 only to get it back home to discover that the mounting bolt spacing changed at some point and the early compressor (the one pictured above by JD Mopar) wont fit......
So...I went ahead and bought the MP A/C expansion kit for the crate motor (part # 77072446) and bolted it up.....Holy crap!!!!!! it fits with the Schumacher mounts! it looks like there will also be plenty of room for the Borgeson steering box, and headers. I'm going to have to clearance the drivers side motor mount on the K frame a bit to clear the bottom tab of the A/C compressor but that is minor and I will be gusseting the K frame anyway. I love it when a plan comes together!

6.4 and compressor.jpg

It's been a while but I thought I'd give an update of where my project of having A/C on my 3G Hemi is. I have my 6.4 Crate engine and I dug up my 71 pad mount slant six K frame out of the basement and ordered the Schumacher mounts. ,,..
So...I went ahead and bought the MP A/C expansion kit for the crate motor (part # 77072446) and bolted it up.....Holy crap!!!!!! it fits with the Schumacher mounts! it looks like there will also be plenty of room for the Borgeson steering box, and headers. I'm going to have to clearance the drivers side motor mount on the K frame a bit to clear the bottom tab of the A/C compressor but that is minor and I will be gusseting the K frame anyway. I love it when a plan comes together!

View attachment 1715244914

That's AWESOME!
No complicated Oil filter fiascos and a WORKING A/C compressor on our A-Body Hemi swaps! This is a Big deal!

It would be great to see the clearance on both sides with the K-frame installed.

Last edited:
-
Back