slant 6 main bearings

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I would like your guys opinion on these new main bearings. I bought these off ebay. They were packaged and new but they have something different with them. Looks like they are splotched, stained or something. They are smooth but there are definately different. They are old discontinued Michigan bearings but they were in the plastic packaging when they arrived. The finish doesnt look right and I dont know if I am comfortable using them yet. need your opinions

DSC04072.JPG

DSC04071.JPG

I had a thread about 1-1/2-2 years ago on the slant 6 forum about that very thing. I ended up buying another set for as cheap as I found them. I messaged the seller and they said "they sell lots of sets of bearings with such markings to machine shops and there's never been a problem.
Mine i could catch a fingernail on the failing coating. For the small percentage of the cost of a rebuild vs the chance it could cause the rebuild to fail, it wasn't worth taking the chance on questionable bearings. I might even still have that set around here somewhere

surface of the coating has oxidised. you catch you finger because the oxide takes up more space than the original coating....

metal polish and a soft cloth followed by a very good clean.

Might work
your engine

Dave

I had a thread about 1-1/2-2 years ago on the slant 6 forum about that very thing. I ended up buying another set for as cheap as I found them. I messaged the seller and they said "they sell lots of sets of bearings with such markings to machine shops and there's never been a problem.
Mine i could catch a fingernail on the failing coating. For the small percentage of the cost of a rebuild vs the chance it could cause the rebuild to fail, it wasn't worth taking the chance on questionable bearings. I might even still have that set around here somewhere
Thats what I thought so I did buy another set of bearings and they look better but I just questioned this. Thanks

I know
surface of the coating has oxidised. you catch you finger because the oxide takes up more space than the original coating....

metal polish and a soft cloth followed by a very good clean.

Might work
your engine

Dave
I know what you mean but I'm my case there was splinters of whatever coating in the package when I opened it up, and flaking off some of the shells, whatever it was was a hard coating of some kind, dill gray on the outside and black on the back side, shells where coating was missing was same flat black as back of coating remnants. Cheaper to buy another set for piece of mind

-
Back