slant 6 mini starter problem

-

Hammer

Reaction score
So i bought a mini starter(categorized under 90 Ramcharger) for my slant 6 turbo build and am having some issues. The starter hooks up just fine. But when I turn the key, the starter makes a rapid clicking. It almost sounds like the teeth on the gears don't line up. Wiring is good and the same hookup kicked over the original starter. I've read a little on here and slant6.org and it would seem that this setup should work. So what gives??

Sounds like either the battery is weak or there is a bad connection somewhere.

One of the two is causing it.
When there isn't enough power to the starter solinoid it kicks in and out causing that noise you are hearing like gears not lining up.

I always start simple for a solution and work through the problem in diagnostic steps.
I'd bet as rediculous as it sounds that is a low battery.:D

Sounds like either the battery is weak or there is a bad connection somewhere.

If it's a factory starter, there is a wire inside the solenoid that can break at the soldered connection, causing an intermittent starting issue....... It's an easy fix, unless, of course, it's got a warranty!!!! Just a thought......

Yea i was gonna jump it first to verify its the battery. Its only about a year old, but I've killed it and brought it back to life a few times. Didn't even occur to me until i posted this..I was in a frantic state of mind after feeling the failure.

Did you get your starter from a parts house or from a junkyard? I did the same change on my car and had the same problem. I had got mine at a local pull and pay. Wouldn't you know, a whole junkyard full of cars and trucks and I find the bad one(my luck kinda runs like that).

Did a little research and found that the only thing that really hardly ever goes wrong with these cool little starters is the contacts. Bought a pair online, put them in and all was fine after that. Dennis

Did you get your starter from a parts house or from a junkyard? I did the same change on my car and had the same problem. I had got mine at a local pull and pay. Wouldn't you know, a whole junkyard full of cars and trucks and I find the bad one(my luck kinda runs like that).

Did a little research and found that the only thing that really hardly ever goes wrong with these cool little starters is the contacts. Bought a pair online, put them in and all was fine after that. Dennis

its from advance auto, for a 90 ramcharger. And I haven't got a chance to even get oil in the engine yet. I turned to start accidentally and that's when I heard it. My first thought was, "better now when then I'm all good to go". \\:D/ I'll get to it soon though. But it should work, no? It sounds like just the battery, for real. I'm hoping to have this thing started before Thanksgiving. I got all the 6AL-2 wiring soldered up today. Just need to lock out the distributor(spot weld), and a bunch more things..Fuel pump and regulator are mounted(fuel pump comes on with the ignition(its nice when stuff just works). Just bought the high pressure hose to complete the system. And my hood clears with my spacer!

Attachments

• gabes engine.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 195
What kinda exhaust is that?

its a custom header I had made for this build. and 6pakattack; I was told by its maker to not reveal its origin... :dontknow:

Looks like a power pipe to me so I can understand why he'd tell you that if it is.

Looks like a power pipe to me so I can understand why he'd tell you that if it is.

What do you mean "power pipe". Its not aftermarket if that's what your implying. Hand made my good man...here's a pic of my carb spacer that was made as well. Doubles as the adapter that turns the carb sideways too!

Attachments

• IMG-20111114-00384.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 150
Oh you mean the header design? Yea I know they're not as efficient as equal length headers. I also read they get "hot spots" where the runners meet the tube. But that's how the stock manifold looked and I wanted the engine to stay looking stock..ish?

-
Back