Slant 6 questions

-

Kevin Nelson

Reaction score
My 15 year old son recently bought his first car, a 1970 Dart Swinger. The car has one re-paint but is otherwise very original. It has a slant 6 and I believe it has only 89,000 miles on it. Where is the VIN located on the engine block? Also, he needs a negative battery cable. Are the cables the same as a V8? I couldn't find any cables that are specific to slant 6. He also needs a fuel line that runs from the fuel pump up to the carburetor. Is that a part that is readily available? I've never looked for slant 6 parts before.

The VIN stamping should be on the block below spark plug #6 on a raised boss. Classicindustries.com have fuel lines and the negative batt cable are easily made. I have about a 50" long universal cable on my slant six, works great. Sounds like a cool first Mopar, welcome to FABO!

fuel line. what the slant six . org guys recommend is a FI hose and run it over the valve cover. works great, with this sorry gas, the original steel line as it runs will boil your fuel especially on summer days. use FI hose and FI clamps.

I also did the fuel line mod. That combined with a points driven tfi module and h.o. ignition coil for a home made Hei the car lights off very quick. Even after a hot restart now.

The good condition holley 1920 makes life simple too.

Yeah, do the fuel line mod. I just bought 2 of the Holley right angle fittings recommended by slantsixdan. This is on a 64 225 though.
While at the Mopar Nats this summer I bought a negative cable from Dale's Cuda Shop. It's listed as 63-69 big block or something like that. It looks more correct than the generic stuff in parts stores. I only paid him 20 cash. Beats the $130 correct ones.
But if you just need a cable, take a measurement and buy one at a parts store to get him going.

Definitely do the Fuel line mod. Battery cable is a perfectly ordinary, plain, standard item -- buy by length. Much more interesting and informative than a VIN stamp on the engine is the engine stamping itself, which is below the № 1 (frontmost) spark plug.

Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. Your son needs the three books described in this thread.

1970 would still have a points distributor I think. It will start cold and idle better w/ electronic ignition. No rush, but look for a later electronic distributor. I bought a new one for $50 on ebay. Once you have that, you can do the 8-pin HEI conversion, using parts (module & coil) from a 85-95 GM V-8 truck. TrailBeast here kits those parts new or ~$25 at any junkyard. I also grabbed the knock sensor & module which screws in the block drain (w/ 3/8 - 1/4 NPT bushing) and works w/ several after-market engine controllers.

-
Back