!!slant six 69 DART converted to 360 727 PROBLEMS

-

Gjason89

Reaction score
my car has just last night dropped the 727 360 in. Except i have ran across some question. the car as it sits is just a engine to carb and tranny with out cut shaft. (no radiator fan etc) my new engine came out of a 1984 dodge van i think either i lost some parts or things are actualy in place right i dont know. "when i look under my car were the trans mission conects to the block i can see the external balanced and fly wheel. am i missing like a metal plate that like covers it or not? will the starter work from the slant six. and where to get my radiator etc. plz help me im sixteen yrs old thanks

I'm guessing that you're missing the inspection plate that covers that lower area.
Do a search on this site to see if there is one for sale or search "mopar inspection plate" on ebay.

Are you meaning the flex plate?

The flex plate bolts to the crankshaft and then to the torque converter.

You also have to make sure that you use the correct flex plate for 360 and the torque converter that you are using. They have converters for 340 and 360 which have different balances. If you don't match them correctly, you will have a vibration.

Take your time and find out what you need now before you end up having to do it all over.

I'm guessing that you're missing the inspection plate that covers that lower area.
Do a search on this site to see if there is one for sale or search "mopar inspection plate on ebay."

Yes, I didn't think of that either.

Try contacting whitepunkonnitro for an inspection plate. He seems to have tons of parts and is a good guy to deal with. There are two pieces to the cover plate.

were can i get the plex plater mopar inspection plate???

as they said the flex plate and inspection plate are two different things and im going to assume motor and trans both came from the van if not (than as said before )make sure you have the right flexplate/converter for your application

inspection plate is just a thin piece of tin/metal that blocks off the space where you can see in the bottom of the transmission bell housing. It is so you can get to your torque converter bolts and or converter drain plug (and covers the hole afterwards) and im pretty sure it serves as a starter shim as well.

the flexplate is the plate that bolts to the back of your motor with 6 or 8 bolts i dont remember off the top of my head and your torque converter bolts(through the hole that the inspection plate blocks off later) to it as well. but i do believe that the flexplate is the same for 318/340/360 but thats something you have to research if your motor/trans were not mated together before now or was not previously bolted to a 360

so if you have the plate bolted to the motor and the torque converter bolted to the flexplate and its a matching set then your just missing the inspection plate and i dont believe that the slant6 starter will work on the 360

these are only for references so you see and understand the differences in what we are talking about. and im sure once you do some research so you can not only have better knowlage of your project you can ask the right questions

here is an example of a mopar inspection plate

[ame]http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-TORQUE-CONVERTER-INSPECTION-COVER-PLATE-A-ENGINE-/261502823943?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce2c86e07&vxp=mtr[/ame]

here is an example of a mopar flexplate

[ame]http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-Transmission-flex-plate-318-340-360-/221462416716?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3390304d4c&vxp=mtr[/ame]

good luck i applaud you for digging in and not farming this out. i just did the swap in my 70 swinger and it is a lot of work so just get all your ducks in a row take your time to do it right.

remember if you cant find time to do it right the first time how will you find time to do it a second time.

The starters are all the same and interchangeable BB, SB & /6

If your actually looking for a starter because you dont have one, I would suggest a mini starter from an early 90's Dakota. I'm using one on my BB now... sounds weird but turns the engine over quicker than the big bulky original starters.

Ihave a 727 inspection cover if you need it 2o canadian + shipping.

Attachments

• 378.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 196
So after I gather up those two plates plz don't tell me I'm going to have to take of the engine again it was such a hassle to put both in together I would hate to take it out. Is it possible to put them on without removing the transmission atleast. I'm guessing I would have to remove the engine block and then put in those plates then put it back in.

You need to post a photo. The flex plate goes between the engine (rear of the crank) and torque converter. If that is not in there, you'll need to pull either the engine or the transmission, whichever seems easier.

Factory flex:

flexplate.jpg

Unless someone had the engine / trans apart, it should be there. The bolts are NOT evenly spaced. It only fits one way. "Some years" are marked, otherwise you'll have to install a bolt and rotate to check that the other three all line up

if you did not split the trans from the motor-- then all you need is the inspection cover. the slant starter should work--
are you going to install headers?( starter issues later)
to save you some grief (coming from a once 16year old)
make a list of plans for your project.
ask on here-- you will get a lot of answers --some good some not.
post up some pics-- start a resto thread on your ride--- someone on here has most likely done what your attempting.
Have fun
Welcome aboard.

Lawrence

Thank you guys all very much since I have joined this site about a year and a half ago I have got nothing but very good help and answers from you guys. I will try to start a resto thread I just need some time to brainstorm write everything down and start from there thanks.

-
Back