Slant six heat riser

-

64Dart270

Space Cadet
Reaction score
My heat riser is missing the spring. I can turn and lock it in either direction. I live in a warm climate and would prefer to lock it full open (no heat to intake). Which direction should I turn it?

Counterclockwise as viewed from the front, but you ought to fix it properly. Your climate has nothing to do with it.

Yes, I understand it's function and relationship to proper choke operation. Unfortunately, it was stuck closed, as I suspected. The carb was getting HOT, which led me to suspect the riser. So, now I just have to allow an even more ample warm-up until I can scrounge a new spring and coil. Since it does rotate with a little help from pliers, I should be able to free the rust once I find one, saving me from pulling the manifolds. Does anyone know where I might find a new spring? My choke spring is a bit oxidized as well and also tends to stick. Prompting me to tap the pedal at times.

Yes, I understand it's function and relationship to proper choke operation

The heat riser has nothing to do with the choke on a slant-6. You're thinking of the V8 setup.

Since it does rotate with a little help from pliers, I should be able to free the rust

Chrysler P/N 4318039AC is the magic gookup to unstick heat risers. No idea what's in it, it's not just relabelled Liquid Wrench or anything similar. It works like nothing else.

where I might find a new spring?

Tough to find any more. You're going to be beating the NOS-parts vendor bushes.

choke spring is a bit oxidized as well and also tends to stick

Put in an Electric choke kit #1231.

-
Back