Slant six motor mount bracket questions.

-

nateCuda

Reaction score
Hello, I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers to while searching this great forum. I bought a 1965 Barracuda roller that I have intentions of making my daily driver. I recently bought a 225 slant six (2 barrel carb) from a 1978 Aspen that I want to use. The car has the original K member with no mounts and the engine does have mounts but they are the spool type. I've called a couple junk yards but when I tell them it's for a car older than 1985 they just laugh. And I've been watching e-bay but no luck recently. My questions are

1. Does anyone make new motor mount brackets for an early a-body with a slant six? I've looked at Schumacher and Mancini and only see brackets to swap to a v8 car.

2. Do adapters exist to put on the 1965 K member to use the existing late 70's spool type motor mounts and brackets? If so do you remember who sells them?

3. Is it possible to fabricate some custom brackets to use and if so does anyone have detailed plans, specs, and pictures of how to do this?

4. Does anyone have an old set of slant six motor mount brackets (that will work with a 65 barracuda) lying around the garage that they would be interested in selling?

The engine isn't going to be ready to drop in until this summer but I'd like to gather all the necessary parts and these motor mount brackets have stumped me. Thanks in advance.

I think the spool mounts started around 1973. I don't know why A body mounts from a 1972 or earlier wouldn't work.
-Matt

Hello, I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers to while searching this great forum. I bought a 1965 Barracuda roller that I have intentions of making my daily driver. I recently bought a 225 slant six (2 barrel carb) from a 1978 Aspen that I want to use. The car has the original K member with no mounts and the engine does have mounts but they are the spool type. I've called a couple junk yards but when I tell them it's for a car older than 1985 they just laugh. And I've been watching e-bay but no luck recently. My questions are

1. Does anyone make new motor mount brackets for an early a-body with a slant six? I've looked at Schumacher and Mancini and only see brackets to swap to a v8 car.

2. Do adapters exist to put on the 1965 K member to use the existing late 70's spool type motor mounts and brackets? If so do you remember who sells them?

3. Is it possible to fabricate some custom brackets to use and if so does anyone have detailed plans, specs, and pictures of how to do this?

4. Does anyone have an old set of slant six motor mount brackets (that will work with a 65 barracuda) lying around the garage that they would be interested in selling?

The engine isn't going to be ready to drop in until this summer but I'd like to gather all the necessary parts and these motor mount brackets have stumped me. Thanks in advance.

I may have an old slant 65 or 66, I can check if it has the mounts on it...

People give away slants they can't sell, so motor mounts won't be tough, just wait. Shipping would cost, so local is easiest.

Thanks guys and thanks for the pictures KrazyKuda, I wasn't even sure what they should look like. Yeah I was hoping maybe someone fabricated new ones to sell as a hobby or something but there probably isn't much demand. I'll reach out to the people selling slants on Craigslist and maybe find someone who will sell me just the motor mount brackets. Thanks again.

The engine brackets you need, are 66 and older. I don't know if there is a difference between body styles or not. Mounts (rubber part) can be found but the brackets are harder to find. It would be possible to modify the cross member to use the spool mounts, but requires welding. I might have an extra set of 66 down "A" body engine brackets. If nobody else can help you, send me a PM and I will look.

No need to fabricate mounts, take the easy route. Just put a listing in the WANTED section for the metal brackets. You will also need the rubber insulators. I need a passenger side because mine (1964) is in bad shape from being oil-soaked for many years but Rockauto.com is not showing stock right now. I just don't know if the spool mount cars had any changes in the block to incorporate the later style.

You have time to come up with the correct mounts. I do exactly the same thing, gather parts and make sure I have everything before the actual install. If your K looks like the attached pic, you'll be good.

Update: I just checked NAPA online and they show both rubber mounts for less than $4.00 each. You still need the brackets that mount to the block.

Attachments

• P1020105.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 215
Thanks guys and thanks for the pictures KrazyKuda, I wasn't even sure what they should look like. Yeah I was hoping maybe someone fabricated new ones to sell as a hobby or something but there probably isn't much demand. I'll reach out to the people selling slants on Craigslist and maybe find someone who will sell me just the motor mount brackets. Thanks again.

I have two spare engines with them, I can let one set go. PM me if you want one set of them.

Rock auto shows them as available. I have seen errors in catalogs for these mounts. You need 2303 and 2304. The first couple of letters or numbers in the part number is for the manufacturer designation.

Rock auto shows them as available. I have seen errors in catalogs for these mounts. You need 2303 and 2304. The first couple of letters or numbers in the part number is for the manufacturer designation.

Interesting...I'll have to check that again. I just looked a couple weeks ago and the right side was out of stock. I put in for an email notification when they were back in stock and have not received anything.

NAPA is out of stock on the right side. Same as Rockauto said. These things must all come from the same source.

Classic Industries says they are in stock for $16.99 each.

Looking on Rockauto for 65 Valiant. Westar EM2265 and EM2264, are not correct.
DEA A2203 and A2204 are correct.
Pioneer are out of stock, but also not correct.

All of the mounts listed for 65 Barracuda are not correct

All the mounts listed for a 65 Dart are correct

Just a FYI all 60-66 "A" bodies with a slant six use the same mounts

-
Back