Slightly damaged head gasket

-

remytherat

Reaction score
Just took this out of the package. Has a weird dimple and the outer coating is flaking a little. Run it?
C0C0911D-C4D2-443B-BB9D-0AC7E6E897B1.jpeg

What brand is that? Is it one of those thinner ones like .028 or ?
I'd be weary, at least use some Indian head on it if you do... but im not sold on those damaged or not.
thems is mr. gasket .028's

(i'm answering in his stead, he's busy wire wheeling bolts)

would be nice to know what they are coated with so that you can replicate that and use the gasket otherwise buy another set
summit just says: elastomer coated

sooo... your guess is as good as mine. they have a "tack" to them, but not sticky per se.

also have stock gaskets that came in the rebuild kit. so those are about double that on compressed thickness.

Copper Coat would probably fix that.....but head gaskets are cheap and I don't like to like by "probably".

Mopar performance carried either those same or very similar head gaskets under their own part number. I know that with freshly surfaced heads and a reasonably straight and very clean deck, the set I seen required a retorque after adding coolant because they started seeping a little before fire up. I definitely wouldn't run one that was damaged, and I would probably copper coat any I was going to install now.

Last edited:
Looks like it got folded/creased. Once the coating is compromised like that, I wouldn't run it. If/when it lets go, you'll be into it for another head gasket anyway, plus a manifold set, gallon of anti-freeze and another oil change; and another weekend of unhooking exhaust, hoisting a manifold and head on and off over the fender, and Neosporin for your knuckles. Get the gasket now and avoid the hassle and aggravation. At least they're sold as singles, so you don't have to get a set.

I have a pair of .045” gaskets on hand that are in good condition. Going to use those instead.

Only losing 0.3 compression points

Last edited:
You wouldn't use that gasket. Irrespective of what the coating is, chunks of the coating are missing from the most critical area of the gasket, the combustion sealing ring. In two places.

It ain't worth the labor involved to find out it's a leaker.. much less the cost in materials. Send those back and use another solution. If it was side of road emergency situation roll the dice, but I'd replace.

I wouldn't use that damaged gasket or the .045 gaskets in its place. Get another one.

we had an all paws meeting and the board concluded that the stock head gaskets were the move to make in this situation.

back to wire wheeling bolts and deciding on engine color.

That gasket got folded somehow.
I bought a set of head gaskets one time from Summit, stupid shipping department folded them in 1/2 to fit in a smaller box.
Back they went, Summit made good on them, even overnighted another set.

-
Back