Small block 360 cam choice

-
108 lsa cam installed at 102... where's the low end loss? Oh wait, that's the same thing being done for 40 years and what those new fangled thmpr and whiplash cams are doing.

Jeez this broken record stuff. Most of the crappy low end performance is ALL in the tune where most people don't have any idea how or what to do. Oh the book says 5 BTDC for timing... yep, runs like ****, bad cam choice. Seen it what seems like a millions times.

XE262-268 or the voodoo 700-703 would likely work OK. Just make sure you degree it in and I would maybe move it forward to 104 ICL on the larger of those grinds.

It's broken record stuff because nobody ever listens.

i cant afford to have it done, not that i dont want to. im building this on a minimalism budget.. saving here and there just to gather parts. im not looking to build a drag car.. something stronger than my 318 and runs decent. even poor people have dreams, but alot of times we cant reach them so we have to settle for cheaper routes

I get what you're sayin. I chose to back off on the camshaft I was graciously given so that I could run a simple, single spring with low spring pressure. I actually can machine the heads myself for dual springs AND I HAVE a set of dual springs just right for the bigger cam, BUT that's not what I wanted to do. I want something with zero problems that's dead reliable and I know a mild cam with single springs will do the job.

So I had a Comp xe274h and just recently sold it. So now I'm looking for a different cam. What are my best options for a good weekend cruiser with a little lope, but some decent power(I know compression is gonna kill alot). Little to know track time. Just cruise to shows, work occasionally and just around town.. I don't need wicked power. Something reliable with a little power when I need it. I know just stock this 360 will probably out perform my 318.

360, stock bottom end with dish pistons, 2600 stall in reverse manual 904 with 3:55. Wieand stealth intake, eddy carb and I can run a stock distributor or one locked out at 35-36° total.

This is a great little cam with bitchen sound and power. The Tight LSA will help with lower compression. Back when all I would get was junk yard 360 Cordoba engines this was my go to camshaft for the Saturday night street races. Part #31204

Mopar Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft

In Lamens...how long both int and exh valves are held open, helps higher rpm power, more o lap higher operating rpm...but it bleeds off cranking psi more o lap= higher rpm power/scavenging, less o lap...lower operating rpm range.
Typically , If you look at cam specs...smaller cam, less over lap...bigger cam more over lap

You are building a weekend cruiser, torque machine that wants a range like idle -5500 rpm...meaning torque range..it will rpm 'horsepower ' beyond that ..so dont trip out on the advertised peak rpm. How far beyond depends on a few things...but just stop over thinking it and dont put a big cam in it, if you do it will be like a fat woman climbing the stairs...overlabored
I partially was confused.. as in another thread someone was asking the same but more a towing deal, unless you edited the opening post and thats what happened.
Ive now changed my mind...put a .484 mp in it 4+ adv and live with it.
Good luck.

Now I see why others are tired of it.
I put the 292 +4° in and it runs pretty snappy i think! 3.91's and 9.5" 3400-3600 stall also plays a part.

You might want to do a search on here as a lot of members have had problems with Hughes. Your Competition Products link goes to an empty shopping basket.
He wants you to fill that basket up! :rofl::poke:

Yeh...... but the customer service was excellent in helping to isolate and resolve the problem.

Oh wait........
here what should have showed up

Hydraulic Flat Tappet – ELGIN # ELGE935PK

480/480 lift

Duration at 50 – 231/231

109 lobe center

Kit is cam, lifters, springs and locks - $252.95

im gonna be running a Hughes Whiplash cam with Marsh Performance Aluminum heads

-
Back