Small Block Full Length Header Options - Ground Clearance

-

racerdude5

Reaction score
Are there any headers for a 67-76 A Body that fit better than the rest? Which FULL LENGTH headers provide the most ground clearance and hang down the least amount? Do TTI headers really hang down less than the rest?

TTI or Dougs. Dougs may be more reasonable price wise. If you watch Autozone's website they run specials on them with free shipping sometimes.

Thank guys! Appreciate the input! It can be difficult shopping online sometimes, especially when you need to compare physical characteristics of a part. Do they make a big difference in clearance?

Yeah, they do tuck up in further then the generic long tubes that you might get from Summit or Jegs.

I have a set of the Summit long tubes on my car, and have never had an issue with them hitting anything.

Doug's!!!

Allegedly the Doug's have about 3/8" more ground clearance than the TTI's. But I haven't personally measured a set of TTI's to find out if that number is accurate.

I can say though that looking at the Doug's on my car I don't see how you could get any more ground clearance with a set of full-length headers than what they give.

I have TTI's on my car and I've dropped the front end to almost on the bump stops. Going over speed bumps I have not rubbed them. I thought I would, but they didnt.

I've always thought Doug's Headers were well-designed and constructed. Very solid product for the price, IMHO. Don't have their A-body headers (yet) but have used Doug's on other projects and never looked back.

I know the OP mentioned full-length headers, but someone's got to throw the Schumachers in here...

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/SB_Headers.html#head4

You will have to drive like a bigger fool than me, to get the TTIs to hit something.I couldnt drag em on anything.

Must not be low enough! ;)

I have TTI's on my car and I've dropped the front end to almost on the bump stops. Going over speed bumps I have not rubbed them. I thought I would, but they didnt.

The stock bump stops are pretty tall. Even if you're almost on them you're not really all that low.

My Duster has about 1-1/2" from the frame to the LCA's, so, about 3/4" from the frame to the top of my 11/16" poly bump stops. With the 1.12" torsion bars I'm running I rarely ever hit the bump stops. But even considering that, I still haven't managed to scrape the Doug's on anything so far. Although I take speed bumps pretty darn slow, I know I don't have that much room. The header flanges on the Doug's are about 4" off the pavement on the Duster.

The header flanges on my Challenger are about 3.5" off the ground, I've found that to be a pretty good spot, it clears pretty much everything. It used be closer to 3" on the header flanges, but I raised it back up a bit because it was scraping on speed bumps even taking things slow.

I'd go lower on the Duster, but I don't think it'd leave enough travel. Maybe I'll upgrade to QA1's tubular LCA's, you gain almost an 1" of clearance with those compared to stock. Then the only thing I'd have to worry about is the tires hitting the inner fender on full compression...

IMG_2059_zpsgwedlaiu.jpg

Both Patriot's and Doug's are made by Pertronix (perhaps not manufactured but owned), are they similar headers?

My heddman headers fit well and are tucked in higher than most headders. I have never had them hit or drag going into drives or approaches they just barely hang below the sub frames

The cheap Summit headers will not hit an effin thing as long as your car sits at the stock ride height. I have run several pairs.

The cheap Summit headers will not hit an effin thing as long as your car sits at the stock ride height. I have run several pairs.

Lol, yeah, I always wonder when people say they hit, WTH they are running over. I have about 7" of ground clearance on the DS header.

I ran the cheaper Hooker headers on my Dart (previous owner bought them) and they drug across the curb every time I left my driveway. The right side hung down so low that the first time my wife saw my car, she said "what's that hanging down?!?" Not a good first impression. I found some TTIs cheap at a swap meet and they will be going on when the 408 goes in.

IMG_6698.jpg

I replaced my Hooker comps which got beat to hell by speed bumps with some cheapo summit brand and I haven't had an issue. Now if I went all dukes of hazzard then all bets are off.

Lol, yeah, I always wonder when people say they hit, WTH they are running over. I have about 7" of ground clearance on the DS header.

Sure, if you run at the stock 4WD ride height nothing is going to scrape.

But I'd be willing to bet that most people are lower than that, whether they intentionally lowered the car or just because the stock torsion bars have sagged over the last 40+years. And the suspension geometry is a heck of a lot better lowered from stock.

Even with the Doug's my headers flanges are at 4" to the pavement. I'd like to go another 1/4" to 1/2" lower, but I'm pretty close to the limit of what I need for suspension travel even with the 1.12" torsion bars.

My car is very low.

I rub mine on speed bumps all the time. I have to really slow down a drive carefully. Some tall speed bumps I always scrape a little.

Talk is cheap. I just went in the garage and got actual measurements this:

5 1/16" very bottom-most part of K-member to ground

2 3/8" TTI headpipe flange edge to ground

Attachments

• IMG_0553.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 859
  • IMG_0565.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,011
  • 3_19_11Sm62.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 913
  • Copy of IMG_9620.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 845