small engine labor rates

-

abdywgn

dismantler
Reaction score
what are they in your area? I just fixed a neighbors CubCadet mower(MTD) for a self propelled belt popping off problem. It was $40 some in parts. It's a neighbor that gives us veggies every year. He hands me a wad of bills and I'm embarassed to take that much. He's happy with it, says he doesn't have to go out and buy a new one now. I WOULD have bought a new mower before spending what he did. I'm thankful and told him so...but still. What DO these places charge for labor? Thanks! Bob

We have an Ace Hardware in Gray, Georgia right up the road from us. Although it is a NICE store....and they have a complete lawn mower shop, they are evil high. I work on small engines here for people and I constantly hear how high they are. I had one guy say they charged him 125 bucks to put two belts on a mower. He provided the belts.

I get 25 to put belts on if I have to remove the mower deck. If not, it's 15. I charge 12.50 to change oil and that includes up to two quarts. Plus a filter if it has one. 15 to sharpen blades. 10 plus blade to swap um out. Unless an air filter is totally ruined, I'll blow them out for no charge. You get the picture. I want people to come back. lol

Sorry, don't know. Haven't taken a car, pickup, or garden machine to a shop in YEARS. But I'd bet a "real" shop is gonna be at LEAST 50 bucks an hour, and that's just a wild, low, guess.

There is no Ace Hardware store, and there's no such place as "Gray, Ga".
...and lawn mowers don't run on gas. :tongue:

Well damn I need a new crystal ball.

I went to the Ace mower shop the other day for a starter relay for the wheelhorse. They had a sign posted that there rate $60.00 an hour. They told me there was more work then they could handle, about 4 or 5 weeks out.

-
Back