So how sad is this

-

HankRearden

Reaction score
I'm sitting in my office thinking about my kid going off to trade school and how I magically got old overnight.
Then Limpbizkit break stuff starts playing and I instantly throw bith middle fingers in the air and start singing along. Jjust like I did when the song was new and I was a 20 something long haired mechanic.
Now at a lot closer to fifty with a lot less hair,a lot more forehead, working in an office wearing "business casual" I should probably modify my behavior. LoL

I still listen to hard rock/metal at 56, although most of the bands I listen to are Christian bands. My 9 year old son loves Skillet and Demon Hunter! I grew up in the 80’s, which arguably had the best music of any decade. Still occasionally listen to that stuff-I just don’t live my life according to the words anymore!!

Grandpa always told me, "Act like a teenager but make all of your appointment's".

The only thing that should change as we grow older is our wisdom, which might modify our behavior since we probably won't make dumb decisions like we did in our youths.

But I refuse to conform to any stiff, button down world....I'm gonna be ME!

I'm nearly 46. As I get older my tolerance for stupidity has shortened quite a bit, but at the same time I'm also more content.
I remember tinkering on old GM's and Pontiacs with my brother when I was in my teens and early 20's. As well as tinkering with my first car: A 1984 Dodge Ramcharger.
I then got into Jeeps in the early 2000's, I had a 1992 Jeep Cherokee which I still consider one of the most reliable car I have ever owned. Sold it 2008 to a friend with over 250K miles on it. Last I checked it was still running couple of years ago with over 375K miles on it. He said it needed an rebuild since it's burning a bit of oil.
Then I got back into Dodge trucks, got a 1983 and 1988 Dodge Ram W150's later on, then I got bit by the muscle bug. Wanted a B-body but were dang near impossible to find here in Utah for a good price. Found my current Duster in a farm in Fruita CO. for really good deal.
As much as I love the Duster, I do kinda miss my old truck, I do plan on getting another one soon.
Still listen to a wide range of music from 1950's to early 2000's. From Johnny Cash, Chuck Berry, to Korn, Rob Zombie, Powerman 5000 etc.
Rockabilly, Psychobilly, Metal, Hard Rock, Soft Rock, Country until the early 2000's, Grunge.
New Wave, New Age, Classical, just a really broad range.
I will not listen to the newer rap or hip hop. I'll listen to the older stuff from the 80's & 90's, just can't stand the newer crap.

My old 1983 W150... RIP:(
My old 1983 Dodge Ram W150.jpg

I'm 61 years old and I still love cranking up Rock 'n' Roll. Bring on the Zeppelin, Metallica, AC/DC, Van Halen, Doors, Fleetwood Mac, Billy Idol, Deep Purple, Boston, all that awesome stuff!
Add in more recent artists like Avenged Sevenfold, Pearl Jam, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and Greta Van Fleet too.

Last edited:
In my head, I'm still a 9 year old boy in 1987 playing with my Transformer toys. Back when life was simple.

Believe it or not that wet spot underneath that truck was actually from the A/C. Yes, it still had a functioning AC system with R12 refrigerant in it.

I still listen to hard rock/metal at 56, although most of the bands I listen to are Christian bands. My 9 year old son loves Skillet and Demon Hunter! I grew up in the 80’s, which arguably had the best music of any decade. Still occasionally listen to that stuff-I just don’t live my life according to the words anymore!!
Hahahaha, It's funny how every decade that people grew up in says that they had the best music! I grew up in the 70s and I think that we had the best. But there are definitely good songs all the way up to the present too.

Just went to Yes / Deep Purple concert last night. Talk about sad and old. The people in the audience, not to mention the bands.
Steve Howe of Yes !
20240815_202542.jpg

Ian Gillian of Deep Purple
20240815_215110.jpg

Still a good concert. Never to old to Rock !

Last edited:
Hahahaha, It's funny how every decade that people grew up in says that they had the best music! I grew up in the 70s and I think that we had the best. But there are definitely good songs all the way up to the present too.
I worked with a guy that said that. I said I had a lot of fun one the ‘80’s and his replay was:”You should have been around for the ‘70’s”!

Except the 90’s. All that music sucked!!

I'm sitting in my office thinking about my kid going off to trade school and how I magically got old overnight.
Then Limpbizkit break stuff starts playing and I instantly throw bith middle fingers in the air and start singing along. Jjust like I did when the song was new and I was a 20 something long haired mechanic.
Now at a lot closer to fifty with a lot less hair,a lot more forehead, working in an office wearing "business casual" I should probably modify my behavior. LoL
Meh. i'm still 18 at 54.... body just hurts more.. **** it :) But.. i listen to black flag and the circle jerks (and rush) you need better music is all :)

I worked with a guy that said that. I said I had a lot of fun one the ‘80’s and his replay was:”You should have been around for the ‘70’s”!

Only thing good from the 90s is garage.. still love shirley

I can remember seeing Led Zeppelin at the Kiel in St. Louis. Blue Oyster Cult at the Danville Civic center with special guest Dokken with George Lynch. We went and caught Rush and the roadie missed the hand off on Closer to the Heart so Alex Lifeson played the whole song on the Mandolin. Black Sabbath with Dio at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago with April wine, 38 special with 2 drummers and the Hounds. That was a bizzare lineup, but Sabbath with Dio was exceptionally good. One of my favorite concerts was Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow with Ronnie James Dio. Frank Marino and Mahoghany Rush at the Arcada. Another good one was Lynch Mob and Steelheart at Mabels in Champaign. Most of these bands except Led Zeppelin we had the good fortune of seeing multiple times including Black Sabbath's last American tour with Ozzy. Judas Priest at least 3 times. I still listen to this music all the time on Ozzy's Boneyard. Long hair is out of the question as I don't have much left! If it's too loud you are too F'n old! So if the House is a rocking don't bother knocking and just come on in Mr. Hank Reardon!

Last edited:
Still listening to hard rock from the 70s and 90s iam 69 and still playing with Mopas

2B84B041-18C7-4D01-A48A-421B4F69F85B.jpeg

E82A79FF-DDBA-4135-B5FD-50C75D603FB6.jpeg

Same here. I recently bought a Megadeath tape at a retro thrift store because my truck has a tape player. I used to love that stuff and now the taste is gone. Still love the music but the lyrics hurt my brain on some of the songs. Symphony of Destruction still hits though.

I have frequent conversations with 16 year old me.

We're good.

...the 90's gave us Smashing Pumpkins and Ministry.

Same here. I recently bought a Megadeath tape at a retro thrift store because my truck has a tape player. I used to love that stuff and now the taste is gone. Still love the music but the lyrics hurt my brain on some of the songs. Symphony of Destruction still hits though.
Megadeath is playing in Charleston WV in Sept, I need to look into getting tickets, but its probably too late now to get them.

I'm 47 and taking both my Boys to see Metallica this coming Friday! Their first concert was Megadeth on April 1st last year, followed by Iron Maiden in Sept and G-n-R in October. We have been very fortunate to see these shows together.

Earlier this year we saw Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience, all I can say is WOW! I've seen quite a few live shows with big bands, that show is in the top 3 for sure!

When I was 18, my Dad took me to see the Stones, it is multigenerational at our place, thankfully we all enjoy it together, from 75 to 11. We are truly blessed!

And yes, when certain tunes come on, I still feel 16. Isn't it amazing how a certain song can instantly make time stand still and bring you back to another time and place?

Rock on Everyone!

FB_IMG_1697806560799.jpg
20240427_212057.jpg
20230930_223924.jpg

Last edited:

Hah! You think the 90's were bad?
I tried listening to some of the crap that came out the past ten years, even alot of the new "country" music nowadays is junk!

-
Back