So my neighbor is telling me about his bad day

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Neighbor calls this evening, needs help. Says he's hauling his boat home- it quit can I help him
Took me about 2 minutes to discover it has no spark and is likely the in-distributor ignition module--which failed about 5 years ago The rotor/ trigger wheel WILL NOT come off the shaft, I finally used a small chisel to split the plastic on the rotor to get it off. He'll have to replace the module, the rotor, and the trigger wheel

So he's telling me about his bad day

He went to work this morning, he works for the Navy underwater research outfit (Lake Pend O'Reille) at Bayview. There's a small crane out there they use to handle something with the underwater survey arrays

He gets written up because the crane is past due for some maintenance, even though OTHERS had been using it as well. Turns out it was not "tagged out" it is "part of his duty" to check some little tag on the thing every day for dates, and "nobody does." So he has to go through a bunch of hoo-hoo-de hoo for that nonsense

Then he came home and had made a deal with a guy to buy his boat. He had started the pickup, moved it, was going to put the wife's car back in the drive. We live on a non-through block there is not much traffic. It's damn near dead end. Some guy walking up the street STOLE THE TRUCK AND BOAT. The neighbor realized what was going on, and cut through the other neighbor's on the corner and runs around the corner IN FLIP FLOPS STOPPED THE GUY (he's on foot, the neighbor) Confronted the guy, the guys starts walking off.

His wife called PD, neighbor is following the guy telling him stuff like "you might as well stop I'm not leaving and the PD is on the way."

So the guy stops, up in the next street and neighbor confronts him. "WHY did you take my truck" Guy starts quoting scripture, then slugs neighbor in the jaw, knocks him down. Neighbor gets up, grabs the guy, and gets him down and is "whalin" on him until the PD arrives. That goes as expected with Mr. Scripture going to jail

So finally the neighbor gets the boat delivered, the new owner is gonna take his girlfriend out and it gets 100 ft from the launch ON THE RIVER (current ya know) and the engine dies. Sheriff was in area gets the new owner back to the shore, he calls my neighbor to come rescue him.

So neighbor drives ? 15ish-20 miles to retrieve the boat and rescue the new owner, brings the boat home and he and I are sitting there troubleshooting the thing.

Last edited:
Neighbor calls this evening, needs help. Says he's hauling his boat home it quit can I help him
Took me about 2 minutes to discover it has no spark and is likely the in-distributor ignition module--which failed about 5 years ago The rotor/ trigger wheel WILL NOT come off the shaft, I finally used a small chisel to split the plastic on the rotor to get it off. He'll have to replace the module, the rotor, and the trigger wheel

He went to work this morning, he works for the Navy underwater research outfit (Lake Pend O'Reille) at Bayview. There's a small crane out there they use to handle something with the underwater survey arrays

He gets written up because the crane is past due for some maintenance, even though OTHERS had been using it as well. Turns out it was not "tagged out" it is "part of his duty" to check some little tag on the thing every day for dates, and "nobody does." So he has to go through a bunch of hoo-hoo-de hoo for that nonsens

Then he came home and had made a deal with a guy to buy his boat. He had started it the pickup, moved it, was going to put the wife's car back in the drive. We live on a non-through block there is not much traffic. It's damn near dead end. Some guy walking up the street STOLE THE TRUCK AND BOAT. The neighbor realized what was going on, and cut throught the neighbor's on the corner and runs around the corner IN FLIP FLOPS STOPPED THE GUY (he's on foot, the neighbor) Confronted the guy, the guys starts walking off.

His wife called PD, neighbor is following the guy telling him stuff like "you might as well stop I'm not leaving and the PD is on the way."

So the guy stops, up in the next street and neighbor confronts him. "WHY did you take my truck" Guy starts quoting scripture, then slugs neighbor in the jaw, knocks him down. Neighbor gets up, grabs the guy, and gets him down and is "whalin" on him until the PD arrives. That goes as expected with Mr. Scripture going to jail

So finally the neighbor gets the boat delivered, the new owner is gonna take his girlfriend out and it gets 100 ft from the launch ON THE RIVER (current ya know) and the engine dies. Sheriff was in area gets the new owner back to the shore, he calls my neighbor to come rescue him.

So neighbor drives ? 15ish-20 miles to retrieve the boat and rescue the new owner, brings the boat home and he and I are sitting there troubleshooting the thing.
It's a good thing there are people like you in the world.

Sounds like he picked the wrong day to quit drinking/smoking/cocaine/methamphetamines...

and then to think...that was one of the two happiest days in his life

Sounds like he picked the wrong day to quit drinking/smoking/cocaine/methamphetamines...
You talking about the thief? Doesn't sound to me like he quit. the neighbor does none of those things, except for a weekend beer, etc

Reference to the movie, "airplane".
LOL OK. Haven't watched that thing for over 10 years. I once told a friend you'd have to watch it at least 5 times to catch all the BS in the background

Neighbor calls this evening, needs help. Says he's hauling his boat home- it quit can I help him

He gets written up because the crane is past due for some maintenance, even though OTHERS had been using it as well. Turns out it was not "tagged out" it is "part of his duty" to check some little tag on the thing every day for dates, and "nobody does." So he has to go through a bunch of hoo-hoo-de hoo for that nonsense

Then he came home and had made a deal with a guy to buy his boat. He had started the pickup, moved it, was going to put the wife's car back in the drive. We live on a non-through block there is not much traffic. It's damn near dead end. Some guy walking up the street STOLE THE TRUCK AND BOAT. The neighbor realized what was going on, and cut through the other neighbor's on the corner and runs around the corner IN FLIP FLOPS STOPPED THE GUY (he's on foot, the neighbor) Confronted the guy, the guys starts walking off.

I'm moving to Idahoe, at least there's something going on there !

This is the first excitement in this neighborhood in a long time, other than the windstorm awhile back, I suffered no damage, other than power out overnight and part of a day

............Although "in our yute" some of us have used hoes.........in the garden of course............
When I was a kid seemed like the elderly were always using hoes, but me? I have a black thumb. If anything is growing, and I screw with it, it will die. I do have a hoe, somewhere................

Some days it seems like the bottom of the barrel no longer exists...

LOL the bottom keeps getting further down and sinking deeper into the mud (and other)..............

76410067-5DC1-48C6-ABCA-94557B495610.png

For some thats a typical day in the neighbourhood.
I do like living in the country for that reason. But its starting to spread out, more people more problems.

-
Back